VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am new to the group and just thought I would share an issue with you in the hope that one of you may be able to offer a solution.

I currently own a 2010 2.0TDi T28 and have recently been experiencing an anomaly where the steering gets increasingly heavier once the engine has reached optimal temperature. The belt was changed along with the cambelt at the last interval 2 months ago but the problem has persisted for the last 6 months and the new belt has made no difference (VW main dealer carried out the work). On cold start the wheel feels nice and light even with 20" Wolfrace alloys and 275 tyres but then increasingly gets harder to turn the longer into my journey I go before leveling out. Tyre pressures are spot on where they should be at 48psi; I have edged this higher on occasion to see if this had any impact but sadly it remains the same. In addition to this I have replaced the fluid twice inside a month and very little happened.

I have exhausted my options as far as diagnosing this myself, I have been told by a close friend in the trade that the pumps on these are almost bullet proof and he is not confident to suggest I should replace it. Could it be the ball joints or bushes?

Any advice would be very welcome!

Thank you

·
Registered
117 Posts
275 tyres. wow.. wide-boy!

You can have a look through my thread about recent Power Steering woes:

Complete Brand New Front End Suspension .. *BUT*

Possible air-lock in fluid?
possibly tyre issue, once warmed up? what make?
Maybe try swapping to narrower tyres .. if you have access to a pair or lower size alloys/wheels.. see if issue persists?

Doubt this is the issue.. but wouldn't hurt to upgrade to Meyle HD strut bearings, if running that alloy/tyre combo

·
Premium Member
6,266 Posts
Does revving the engine help? I had a cheap fake pas pump fail its regulator and the steering went almost solid when you idled. Wasn't a nice drive to the garage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice guys. I had the van inspected by my local garage last week who were unable to find any faults with the steering. As mentioned above, the steering only experiences issues once warmed up. I suspect the garage never allowed the van to reach optimal temperature before carrying out their inspection. It’s very frustrating, feels like trying to tell someone you’ve seen Aliens; they don’t believe it until they’ve seen it for themselves. I’m at a loss with what to do next, apart from take it a main dealer for diagnosis which would see me part with even more money. Do I replace the pump as the next step?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts