VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decide to get my turbo reconditioned because the shaft is starting to feel a bit wobbly. Anyone care to tell me what problems I'm likely to come across and what I'll have to remove? I've already had the inlet manifold off last week and got the tools for the job. Does the exhaust manifold also have to come off? Them bolts look a bit rusty. Also what spares should I get?

Cheers

Adam

·
Registered
823 Posts
I got a well priced OEM one from Turbo Dynamics 2 years ago. Tricky job to do, best to remove both manifolds which was tricky and involved wobble bits, flexi drives and 1/4 socket sets.
I took a photo of the tools I needed for next time.

It was a great time to clean out the inlet manifold too T:

·
Registered
823 Posts
There's a single bolt right under the manifold that I don't think you can reach without removing the exhaust manifold. I think it's a 12mm 12 point screw but I may be mistaken.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got the turbo off. The bolts on the exsaut outlet side came off relativly easy but the 3 bolts between the turbo and the exaust manifold where a nightmare. Didnt have to take off the exasust manifold and couldnt see how that would helped too much or at least it wasnt worth disurbing the bolts. Just about managed to get a socket and ratchet down the back of the turbo with a combination of universal joints, wobble bars and lots of swearing! The bolts where solid and had to be pulled hard most of the way off. The single 12 point bolt underneath at the front sheared off after swinging around on it with a 10mm ring spanner.

Solarboy: I notice that you have a new looking exsaust on the way out of the turbo, do you recomend that I also replace this part? I cant see any holes but it is quite rusty. Is there anything else I should do while I have all this stuff off? I'm still trying to hunt down a minor oil leak and think it could be the head gasket because I'm also using a little water. I've already replaced the rocker cover gasket and that appears ok.

Cheers

·
Registered
823 Posts
That 1st section of exhaust (up to the clamped joint) came with the turbo T:
It's thick metal though, a bit of rust won't be a problem and it gets hot so shouldn't suffer too much from damp.
Sounds like you had fun I:

·
Registered
823 Posts
Yep, twasn't the cheapest but it was for a daily 100 mile work van so not economical to go cheaper. I've heard Midland turbo do a good quick service.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sent off the turbo to Midland Turbo yesterday. They say it was passing oil and will rebuild it for £185 I guess thats probability ex VAT. Lets see what comes back.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi, old thread but im currently removing the turbo on my ACV, well, its that elusive front multi spline bolt!, i think i can reach from underneath but unsure what type of bolt it is, as already mentioned above its possibly 12 point 12mm spline, can a normal 12 point socket get at it?, AF spline sets ive found dont include a 12mm!?, other option is an "alldrive" socket set by Laser. I dont want to round it off as its practically blind and a pig to access. Just wondered what you guys used?.

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Just wondered what you guys used?.
No need for special tools, it's not the problem it appears top be - a ring spanner gets it done (after inlet manifold removed).

The real pain is 2 of the cap head bolts that hold the inlet manifold.

Be very careful where you source the turbo from - many are utter shonk from China (anything under £300 will be short lived rubbish) & even good new turbos have a surprising amount of lateral movement in the centre shaft.

HH

·
Registered
14 Posts
No need for special tools, it's not the problem it appears top be - a ring spanner gets it done (after inlet manifold removed).

The real pain is 2 of the cap head bolts that hold the inlet manifold.

Be very careful where you source the turbo from - many are utter shonk from China (anything under £300 will be short lived rubbish) & even good new turbos have a surprising amount of lateral movement in the centre shaft.

HH

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks hh, i got all turbo bolts cracked and ready apart from the front spline bolt, it just looked like the easier option, yes, those 2 cap heads seem a nightmare! i have a comprehensive tool kit so maybe il give them a go. Currently im looking to have the turbo rebuilt or exchanged by an engineers not too far from me, seen those cheapy turbos, tempting ?, but im not going to take a gamble on one.
Cheers?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thanks hh, i got all turbo bolts cracked and ready apart from the front spline bolt, it just looked like the easier option, yes, those 2 cap heads seem a nightmare! i have a comprehensive tool kit so maybe il give them a go. Currently im looking to have the turbo rebuilt or exchanged by an engineers not too far from me, seen those cheapy turbos, tempting ?, but im not going to take a gamble on one.
Cheers?
It'll be cheaper just to buy the CHRA or get yours reconditioned. You could also have a go at reconditioning your own.
As long as you mark the position of the current inlet side bolt by marking it the thing should remain in balance.
I did my own on one of my vans (AGT KKK turbo) 40K miles ago & she's still fine.
The kits to recondition are normally pretty inexpensive compared to a CHRA.

·
Registered
14 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
I only had one experience with nerings and it wasn't a pleasant one, i would buy a mellet CHRA and be done with it...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Cheers?
All removed now, intake removed first, this little bahco 1/4 mini rachet kit saved the day with a 6mm bit and long 8mm allen key on the ring end to remove the awkward 2 center bolts. Was a doddle with this.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts