VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,i have one big tale of woe and now face a legal battle over a rejected warranty claim on my replacement engine.
Cutting a long story short,the bottom end went and it snapped a con rod.The diagnosis by the supplier is cavitation in the big end shells resulting from the engine having been run low on oil.Oil starvation not mentioned I hasten to add as the engine was supplied fully built including oil pump!

What I need and have now exhausted myself searching for is the compatability of the engine codes as I search for another engine.The vehicle is a T5 Transporter shuttle 1.9 tdi AXB code.Found a thread with a man who`s mechanic successfully transplanted a beetle 1.9 tdi apparently.I need to buy an engine asap and I am not bothered what its from as long as I can fit all my ancillaries to it.
I just cannot find the info I need regarding different engine codes though it seems a lot of it is due to software,i just want the big metal bits.I`m wary of buying lets say a Passat 1.9 tdi and finding there aren`t bolt holes in the right place etc.

I am desperate for advice or even a recommendation/contact no. of someone who might know the answers.

·
Super Moderator
5,203 Posts
Im in the same boat as you mate as from last Thursday.
My cylinder head has had a small crack in it for a few months and not getting any worse until Thursday morning it wouldn't start.
Think overnight the crack opened as the engine cooled and forced water into the top of the pistons.
Felt like a flat battery but changed it only a week ago as was thinking it was that but must of been the same thing.
Been looking into engines for a few months now and the Early beetle one your on about was put into one of Porcheens vans from Dubai.
The beetle engine has a code ADT and apparently is a straight swap.
Further research ive found out an AXR is the same as the ADT just like ours (AXB) is the same as a AXC.
Dilema is im lucky as I can borrow the wifes Eos and my mates 180 biturbo Kombi so i have a little time to decide on what to do.
Will keep you posted if I beat you to it mateT:
Regards,
BJ.

EDIT!! Its an ATD Engine from the beetle and NOT the ADT as mentioned above! Doh!

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Have you considered getting the bottom end stripped and looked at by an independant?

Might throw up shells were wrong ones for bottom end from a start or crank size etc etc D you have spec sheet of rebuild/recon etc stating crank has been re ground, she'll sizes etc?

Wish you both the best of luck and fortune on your respective quests thoughT:

·
Super Moderator
5,203 Posts
Cheers elvisT:

Did look at a Porsche 996 engine but at £6500 its outside my budget;)

Anyone fitted a 2.0 TFSi engine? These can be made to fit ive heard?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you considered getting the bottom end stripped and looked at by an independant?

Might throw up shells were wrong ones for bottom end from a start or crank size etc etc D you have spec sheet of rebuild/recon etc stating crank has been re ground, she'll sizes etc?

Wish you both the best of luck and fortune on your respective quests thoughT:
The whole engine has been taken apart and photographed by the supplier and forwarded to me.I can send a "suitably" qualified engineer for a second opinion at my cost obviously.I`ve got service history and receipts for the engine fitted 6 months ago,a service 1000 miles after fitting and another service 5 months later inc a smooth running test just to satisfy myself things were good,it then went bang 300 miles after the last service.Cavitation can clearly be seen in the big end shells.The engine was supplied by europarts and came from vege engines to where its been returned and stripped for diagnosis.
The conclusion is due to the engine being run low on oil,air has entered the crank bearing system and caused cavitation.

The engine ran sweet as a nut,idled perfectly,sounded great.never used a drop of oil.

As cavitation can result from a low oil supply and although i have service history etc. there isn`t a way around this rejected claim without legal action.A second opinion confirming the damage won`t overturn their conclusion that its been run low on oil and i believe this is a strategy so i`ll give up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do think if i take the long drawn out legal route which has to begin with me suing the garage that fitted it(a person i know well) that i would probably win as the judge would probably get sick of theoretical engineering argument and rule i had done everything possible to care for the engine,obtained insurance against mechanical defect by purchasing a warranted engine and that the engine suffered mechanical failure. Its a long long way away though and its now 5 weeks since europarts started their internal processes on being informed the engine had gone bang,4 and a half weeks when the warranty rejection came through and that's after being informed the week before that it had snapped a rod,the engine was being re-built and bench tested and coming back to me.This last statement has now been denied that it was ever said or someone got their wires crossed.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Hello,i have one big tale of woe and now face a legal battle over a rejected warranty claim on my replacement engine.
Cutting a long story short,the bottom end went and it snapped a con rod.The diagnosis by the supplier is cavitation in the big end shells resulting from the engine having been run low on oil.Oil starvation not mentioned I hasten to add as the engine was supplied fully built including oil pump!

What I need and have now exhausted myself searching for is the compatability of the engine codes as I search for another engine.The vehicle is a T5 Transporter shuttle 1.9 tdi AXB code.Found a thread with a man who`s mechanic successfully transplanted a beetle 1.9 tdi apparently.I need to buy an engine asap and I am not bothered what its from as long as I can fit all my ancillaries to it.
I just cannot find the info I need regarding different engine codes though it seems a lot of it is due to software,i just want the big metal bits.I`m wary of buying lets say a Passat 1.9 tdi and finding there aren`t bolt holes in the right place etc.

I am desperate for advice or even a recommendation/contact no. of someone who might know the answers.
Try this on fleabay

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Believe it or not that's in my watch list!,close enough,70 miles or so.
Many thanks for the help,very grateful.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I`ve got 12 engines in my watch list and 3 suppliers that I was going to ring in the morning to see about compatibility. I expected to find something on interchangeability googling about but I`ve had no success.

·
Super Moderator
5,203 Posts
There's loads of ATD engines about so wont nick that one lolT:

Looks like this is the way to go as the cheaper option though as the AXB is like rocking horse dollop.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
K chap.

Just been giving this a bit of thought.

When you say 'snapped' a con rod , how did it exactly snap? Where exactly ?

When you saw pics of the small end bearings, were there any signs of wear in the metal? What other witness marks were on them besides the cavitation ones they claimed in big end?

Same as above , any other witness marks on big end shells?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It looks like there is some general scoring to me but I`m no expert.I can send you the pics and the report.The pics and report came on 6 pages of A4 printer paper so while you can make out some of them its not exactly HD quality!

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Get them to put it back in its entirety as you sent it.

Get your man to mic all the journals, cross check against bearings,plastiguage everything (although bearings sound scored will still give you an idea), backlash on pump etc etc

Will be interesting to see what make of bearings they have used.

IF they have tried anything untoward reassembling it, it should easily show upT:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts