VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my diesel tiimg belt keeps snapping 3 times in as many months
i put a new head gasket set on all set up starts great and since then like my thread says only the diesel timing belt keeps snapping getting annoyed now any help grateful

cheers dazmundo

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,537 Posts
Engine type?

Have you changed the idler and tensioner pulley units?

BTW, explore the site.
You posted in the "Hello" section...there is a specific one for just about every part of these vans.

Engine and Gearbox "should" have been your choice. T:

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Lucky your engine isnt dead! Snapped belt on most engines can be terminal.

Hopefully you did the full kit, it just isnt worth the saving not doing the lot.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Hi, is this a 2.4TD or a 2.5Tdi

Pump belts don’t usually snap unless very old, are you using a quality belt...

I had a pump belt problem in France this summer, started making strange noises and trying to climb out over the inj pump drive pulley weird, looked like the tensioner pulley was not straight, was on the highway so put more tension on the belt and greased the side of the belt so it would stay on the pulley. Got to a campsite and took the tensioner off, sure enough the tensioner was at fault, it had worn the tensioner bearing on one side, not the roller bearing the brushed bearing that the tensioner moves on.

Tensioner VW part only 20 months old fitted by VW in Turin was dry as a bone, I had no spare so I filed the locating face of the tensioner tapered to square up the roller best I could, seemed to work but not 100% as the belt was running fully to the left so I added a large washer behind the tensioner to take up the gap between the roller and the pump pulley, 2.5mm thick large washer.

I’m getting to what is the actual issue here.

VW had no parts in France tensioner or belt, eventually found in Luxumberg, had no time to fit as taking our daughters to university in Netherlands, by time we sorted the girls out the belt was still on, so we just kept going greasing the side of the belt when it started to squeak we did 3,000 km this way and repaired a few weeks later at home in Italy.

Repaired but not fully, belts still running to the left, still have the 2.5 mm large washer behind the tensioner.

The real problem is VW, hidden in a small paragraph of 3 lines in the original VW workshop manual, it says,

“ if the belt is not running in the center of the pulley, remove the injector pump, slack the pump bracket bolts push down on the bracket and tighten the bolts to ## torque”

It show a picture of the pump bracket, it a 4cyl one, I can only find this info in VW’s official workshop manual and it’s probably on Elsawin which I don’t have.

Did I do this no, I slacked the bottom bracket bolt, with a heavy long punch on the brackets engine lifting eye and my largest adjustable hammer I gave it a wack or 2, belts just clear of the pump pulley side.

Sorry to ramble on, I’m getting old...

Only other issue is a slack belt, if the tensioner tail is not in the locating slot the tensioner if turned to align the pointer the belts too slack and due to the strange harmonics of 5 cyl it will flap like mad at 1,000 rpm and fly off or strip teeth off it, the Tdi has a heavy pump pulley that the 2.4 does not, to dampen out harmonic oscillations.

All belt tensions are I have a collection of them, all come with the adjuster bushing dry as a bone, I carry a spare greased tensioner and a belt now

1 - 5 of 5 Posts