VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
I have finally got a van, 99 2.5 tdi ajt.
I got it cheap because the engine sounded horrendous, so it was sold as spares or repair.
The cambelt had slipped a tooth and smashed 4 out of the 10 cam followers. The problem i've got is i want to remove the sump to give it a clean out in case any of the bits have dropped into it.
I have removed 30 bolts in total from the sump and i can't see any more but it still won't budge, i can move it slightly but don't want to force it. Is there any hidden bolts inside the bell housing, or should it come off with the gearbox in situ.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
l have not done this job myself, but l do remember a thread discussing this job, and talking about some hiddenbolts which were difficult to access

try a search, but l am sure someone with the right info will be in touch soon

good luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've done it, there are 2 6mm allen screws hidden behind the flywheel, you can get to them through the 2 half round holes next to the bell housing with a long reach allen key.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah it's easy as long as you've got a good long reach allen key, it doesn't have to be a ball ended key, i have got a set of 10" long t bar allen keys which work fine. I put a bit of plasticene on the end to hold the screw firmer so it didn't drop off inside the bell housing, then it's just a matter of turning the flywheel to line up the slot in the back of it and screwing them in. All up and running and on the road now and i'm loving it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Well... we couldn't get the sump off! (a 88hp AJT, 2.5tdi)
We found the 2 hidden 5mm allen bolts but were scuppered by the very shallow 13mm bolt that sits above the O/S driveshaft, furthest out from the sump itself. Any VAG guys (or others) that could tell us how we could tackle it as the sump moulding prevents most tools getting access to it...
Anyroadup she's going back on as we're off to Scotland tomorrow and she can 'wee' on someone else's drive;).
Cheers, Steve.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,

Realise this is an old thread but I'm having the same trouble as the above post. I've removed the allen key fixings through the gaps in the flywheel but the 13mm nut that's trapped by the o/s driveshaft output has me stumped, I can barely get my finger on it let alone a spanner or socket!

I shall get back to it once this cuppa is drunk but any hints or tips gratefully received!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Off side driveshaft? I've done this job quite a few times and I recall there being one over the nearside driveshaft, inbetween the metal castings. It takes a deep throated offset ring spanner and it's easy.

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
When you say the engine sounded horrendous, why dot replace the big end bearings now when you have the sump out?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts