VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

this fault is doing my nut. i have a vw t4 800 special 1.9tdi 1998.

everytime, hot or cold i start the van it is starting lumpy. after 10minutes or so of running - a relay clicks in (not known which one) then it runs sweet as a nut as it should. its got to be sensor/electrical as there is no problem running after this relay has contacted.
it even runs fine if you rev past the lumpy stage, which seems to be like its too low revs. (i did try just raising the revs, but when this relay clicks in it over revs)

i have cracked the injectors, and they seem to be functioning fine. no different

i have replaced the relay 137 that seems to control alot more than known. no different

i have changed the glow plugs for new, with 10v across them all.

i have replaced glow plug relay 104. no different.

i am now screwed. i dont know what to check anymore. i am going to change the temperature sensor next in hope that it controls something, but this is only a hunch and no reason for doing this really.

does anyone have a clue what to do next, or anything i can try. please help.

thanks dubbers

·
Registered
169 Posts
Have a look to see if you've got any air bubbles in the clear pipe going into the fuel pump.
Air in this line makes the van run a bag o spanners.
Paul.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ye checked that, there is no signs of bubbling.

cracking the injectors introduces air to the fuel and i have done that an obvious malfunction with it running was apparent with all 4 injectors.

again please help as like many people, these kinda faults are a pain and frustrating.

thanks

·
Registered
375 Posts
Try changing your glow plug temp sensor which is the one with the 2 wires coming from it its located next to the coolant temp sensor which has 4 wires coming from it, make sure that you use genuine VW part as those cheap pattern ones you get from ebay do not allways work as I have found out a few times to my expence, regards,bighook.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks.for your help. I have ripped both sensors out and waiting for the.part on Monday. Will keep u up to date. I also have replaced the thermostat whilst coolant was drained. Thanks again

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fitted both sensors today aswell as a.New thermostat. The problem goes away a lot quicker but still there. Is there anything that would demand alot from the alternator that would try and kill the engine. Just a.hunch.if anyone.would know. AGAIN PLEASE HELP THIS IS DOING MY HEAD IN. Thankyou

1 - 9 of 9 Posts