VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I went into VW in France today to get them to read the computer for fault codes - long story, different thread - and the first thing he said was "this engine has been modified it is illegal in France and if you have an accident etc etc". He was referring to the obviously apparent intercooler in my 2002 AJT 2.5TDi 88bhp. So I want to remove it and return it to standard as it is next to impossible to get modified insurance here and I just do not need the hassle in the event of an accident.

I think I just have to unplug the intercooler electric connector, remove the intercooler mounting brackets, radiator, and in/out pipes then refit original type pipework and reconnect. Is that correct?

The van has PP2 injectors and has been rechipped by Chipwizards by the previous owner but these are of course invisible to the normal eye so hopefully less likely to be spotted. Can someone please tell me if the van will run ok after uninstalling the intercooler or will it need to be rechipped again? Natrually I know it will be a bit down on power but hopefully it will run ok not misfire, be a pig to start etc etc.

Finally, can some one please help me in my search for the original pipework? I need pipe A and B in the photo below (thanks to t4ste for the photo from his excellent installation thread). If there is anything else I need please shout. Thanks dudes.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I've just gone the other way, so have pipes A and B for sale. You'll probably also need the 90° pipe that connects pipe A to the turbo.

Basically I could sell you everything that came off my van if you like?

I'd have to check cost of postage to France though.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Avoid long motorway runs at high speed in hot weather. Don't ask how I know this. You'll probably find it smokier under load, especially when hot.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've just gone the other way, so have pipes A and B for sale. You'll probably also need the 90° pipe that connects pipe A to the turbo.

Basically I could sell you everything that came off my van if you like?

I'd have to check cost of postage to France though.
Thanks for that. Is yours an AJT? How much do you want for the three pipes? Postage is not a problem and is usually less than expected, naturally I will pay for that T:.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Avoid long motorway runs at high speed in hot weather. Don't ask how I know this. You'll probably find it smokier under load, especially when hot.
Our summers are usually hot here! Can you elaborate please? They do have standard 88bhp van here.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I had an AJT remapped but without an intercooler. I'm based in Portugal now and this one afternoon I pegged it down the motorway in 42C at about 170-180 kph, was smoking a good un. Stopped in the services and she never ran the same after. Once I took it all apart I found I'd melted a hole in my turbo and cracked the exhaust manifold as well as destroy the expensive needle lift sensor. Basically I was running extremely high exhaust gas temps, something I wasn't aware of at the time. I've since edumacated myself and fitted an intercooler (stock ACV one) and don't let it run smoky too long.
Driven normally (as opposed to what I do) it would probably be fine :)

·
Registered
865 Posts
I had an AJT remapped but without an intercooler. I'm based in Portugal now and this one afternoon I pegged it down the motorway in 42C at about 170-180 kph, was smoking a good un. Stopped in the services and she never ran the same after. Once I took it all apart I found I'd melted a hole in my turbo and cracked the exhaust manifold as well as destroy the expensive needle lift sensor. Basically I was running extremely high exhaust gas temps, something I wasn't aware of at the time. I've since edumacated myself and fitted an intercooler (stock ACV one) and don't let it run smoky too long.
That's very high speeds for a 88Bhp engine, 170-180Km/h is over 110 Mph ! I don't know many AJT that do that speed but you're right, high EGT will cook the turbo and may put a hole trough the pistons as well...

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah I see:eek:! No I would not be running at over 130kph and our temps are 36c at most. Being totally ignorant of these things, is the general opinion that that should be fine?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Thanks for that. Is yours an AJT? How much do you want for the three pipes? Postage is not a problem and is usually less than expected, naturally I will pay for that T:.
Yes, 2003 AJT.

Available is all the pipework, clamps, and working 4 pin MAP sensor.

I reckon that's got to be worth £50+postage.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, 2003 AJT.

Available is all the pipework, clamps, and working 4 pin MAP sensor.

I reckon that's got to be worth £50+postage.
Hi Racing Snake. PM sent. Any chance you are going to be able to send it out tomorrow? (It has to sit in the garage until I can sort this out :( ) If you let me have your email address in your PM reply I will send you my full address etc. Cheers T:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts