VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Forum,

is there anyone out there who has upgraded their standard bulbs to LED, i know I'm looking for error free however every man and his dog on ebay wants to sell stuff that clearly doesn't work!!

Id like some honest advice on where to get replacement LED bulbs for my Number plate lights and also the horrid yellow looking day time running lights.

I have a T5 Kombi 2014 and some pointers on what to buy and where from would be great.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi

This is for internal VW rocking roof switches, VW panel van.
I brought strip LED's in Maplins. Cut 3 strips 5 LED long mounted them side by side on a piece of board, cut and shaped to fit in light housing, brought in Maplins, painted white to help reflect light, drilled through board then wired / soldered in series, fitted a fuse, removed original bulb and fittings except live and neutral wires to socket on light housing. Live to fuse, neutral from LED strip. ( all inside original VW light fitting ) then plugged in to original light supply. Light output is about the same as bulbs.
Current load to original bulb 0.8A and bulb gets hot causing condensation on metal roof above lining. Current load with LED's 0.1A virtually no heat generated, no condensation last time I looked. ( current loads approx.) Also less likely to flatten battery with lights left on, when camping in van.

Maybe VW are selling them with LED's now, if not bit behind the times.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi,

I've taken all the standard bulbs out of my T5 60plate and replaced them with LED bulbs from http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/

They have a large selection of LED bulbs. Interior rocker lights - 42mm festoon bulbs. Changed the DRL bulbs to LEDs, the original bulbs had blown, but the replacements not only look good in the lamp when switched of, but also loop crisp and sharp when on.

Have a look at their website.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Hi

I brought strip LED's in Maplins. Cut 3 strips 5 LED long mounted them side by side on a piece of board, cut and shaped to fit in light housing, brought in Maplins, painted white to help reflect light, drilled through board then wired / soldered in series, fitted a fuse, removed original bulb and fittings except live and neutral wires to socket on light housing. Live to fuse, neutral from LED strip. ( all inside original VW light fitting ) then plugged in to original light supply. Light output is about the same as bulbs.
Current load to original bulb 0.8A and bulb gets hot causing condensation on metal roof above lining. Current load with LED's 0.1A virtually no heat generated, no condensation last time I looked. ( current loads approx.) Also less likely to flatten battery with lights left on, when camping in van.

Hope this helps
That was a lot of work for a solution that's available off the shelf....

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
This is the post I put on my build thread recently for the rear number plate lights. The ebay no. for the ones I bought is - 251730861995. There's are loads of them on there, seems to be a standard fit across a lot of VW models and they're super bright !!

Thanks for the words of encouragement folks. It's re-assuring to know that heading away with a baby is not completely un-doable .....

Had a wee potter on the van today, it's getting near MoT time again and the rear number plate lights problem from last year has annoyingly resurfaced. I decided that the housing was going to have to come off this year to fix it, which was a bit of a riddle, but as per usual the forum helped. So after removing the carpetted panel, then undoing the locking mechanism (2 x 13mm nuts and 2 x spline heads screw).

From there 4 more spline head screws need to come out, they're a pain to see and get at so it's easier to show where they go after the housing is off -

I then took the lens covers off they looked dreadful -

And the contacts were all badly corroded so I took a very small thin grinding head type thing from a dremmel and used that to scour them so they were clean and shiny. To replace the old light I'd bought these which are a tenner off ebay if you're prepared to wait for them arriving from China (took about 10 days) -

Fitted in no problem, they just slot right in - remember they only work one way round so if they don't light up at first just turn them around. In daylight the difference is quite noticeable -

and at night the difference is amazing, the right side looks like it's hardly lit at all with the old bulb in -

Thoroughly recommend this dead simple mod, now all I need is a set of Sportline rear lights ..........

·
Registered
485 Posts
In my experience there are lots of LEDs on sale on ebay and elsewhere, both auto and domestic.
problems range from flickering/ poor light spread/colour, falling apart, failing prematurely etc etc
I got some interior ones for the van and they are fine when you open a door and they come on nice and bright, but when they dim or you turn them on manually via the switch they flicker
I would advise buying from an established seller in the UK rather than saving a few quid and buying off a random person in china.
There isn't an effective economical solution for LED headlights yet.

·
Special Rapporteur
10,157 Posts
I guess you're correct in terms of your legal rights as a consumer, but the problem is that your UK seller will typically just have bought off some random person in China and added a markup!

Some of the worst customer service that I've received has been from a UK based seller, where the lamps started flickering after just a few days (but after I had left them feedback on Ebay, so they just never bothered to reply), and the best from a China based seller who sent me a new lamp when I had a minor problem (one LED out of 60-odd had failed) - no return of the old one required.

They definitely seem to be getting better/more reliable, but even so it's a bit of a gamble, and I'd still rather gamble with £5 from a Chinese seller than £20 from a UK seller of exactly the same thing...

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Hi

Hope this helps
That was a lot of work for a solution that's available off the shelf....
LOL:LOL:LOL: just buy a couple of these.... https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=l...bulbs+vw+t5&tbm=shop&spd=12478703222950383443

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Some proper "sledge hammer to crack a nut" solutions here!

I've always used Fizzmo via eBay for automotive LEDs. Dead quick delivery, UK based and cheap. Never had a problem with their service or their products.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,

I've taken all the standard bulbs out of my T5 60plate and replaced them with LED bulbs from http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/

They have a large selection of LED bulbs. Interior rocker lights - 42mm festoon bulbs. Changed the DRL bulbs to LEDs, the original bulbs had blown, but the replacements not only look good in the lamp when switched of, but also loop crisp and sharp when on.

Have a look at their website.
Couldn't find any drl replacement led's on their site for T5.1 Kombi Highline, anyone bought any decent ones, can you provide a link please

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just thought I would mention that back in the day when I did this to my van LED light fittings were very limited.
For the front rocker I brought an LED bulb off of Amazon, much easier.
I would not recommend my way today, to much work, but still working to this day.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just replaced all my bulbs with LED bulbs from autobulbs direct. I put in some brighter normal headlamp bulbs from them and all the LED bulbs i fitted i just swapped over, including interior lights. No errors and no faffing. I've used LED bulbs for about 5years.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts