VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
help 2.5tdi wont start went out this morning it turned over but wouldnt fire like no fuel, then it fired big cloud of white smoke ran 2 sec then died. started again and it ran but a bit rough took son to school and back didnt sound right, come out to go to the shops and now just starts run a few sec then stops. it doesnt get to idle revs. now i have been loosing water and being right on the edge of over heating. we have pressure tested the engine and it came back good on all 5 was about to do a belt and pump in case it was a circulation prob ive put a vid on photo bucket going to post a link if this works

any help would be very very very much appreciated

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we did it a week ago and come back great result hardly any loss even when release the end off the dead end reading was only just up a tiny bit. but i did think that too hope not.
any cheaper ideas lol

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions which are more expensive :eek:; if it's just the gasket it won't be too bad.. I'm guessing £50 for the gasket, a couple of oil changes and someone to fit it.

1. Have you checked the oil filler cap/rocker cover for a white/brown emulsion?
2. Is there oil in the water expansion tank?

·
Registered
237 Posts
What was the initial problem? What made you get it pressure tested or start thinking about replacing the water? pump?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it all started when the coolant froze in the ice it then started to get hotter than normal, the water is boiling. pressure in header bottle, and loosing water. a trip to town about 10 mile uses about 2 l of water some of it leaking out from header under the pressure but the rest just goes with no visible sign. so we started testing things ive taken the stat out a while ago and it still gets too hot

·
Registered
237 Posts
ahh.. clearly more serious than just a gasket. If the cooling system froze it's a question of checking it methodically, you may find that a core plug has moved etc ...time to call in the mechanic I think. :(

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its been in the garage my farther in law is service manager at volvo and this engine is the same as volvo so we have been using their kit to test with. where are the cor plugs anybody know?i will have to get the book for it and see if its in there

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The only water to be found on the outside of the cooling system is the bit that has come from the header no leaks anywhere else

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just been out to it again and now it is just turning over not firing :( not good i need it for work and dont have another car and live 10 mile from town where any parts can be got. aaaarrrrggggg

·
Registered
237 Posts
Possibly hydrolock.. you'll need to remove the injectors and turn the engine over to get the water out. If it was me I wouldn't be attempting to use it until the issues are resolved (but that's just my opinion)..

·
Registered
64 Posts
if you ran this van with out enough antifreeze you may have damaged the water impelers they can shear off , then you have no water circulation you can overheat, if you then continue driving the outcome is usualy a blown headgasket which then pressurises your cooling system blowing out or sucking in water. starting then becomes difficult,

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well found out why it wont start pump belt has snapped !!!! now just need to work out how to time it up again!!!!:(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts