VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Hope I can get some quick advice here...
Took my van in for a service - it's at 45k, so wasn't expecting anything to really crop up. However, I'd noticed there were different sized gaps between the front tyres and wheel arches on the off and near side, so wondered; if the subframe needed to be re-aligned or something.
I've owned the van for a year, and have had it converted to a camper, put new wheels on etc, but it's never been involved in an accident while I've had it. So, was a little surprised when Manchester Van Centre phoned to let me know that it looks like I'll need:

A new drive shaft because there's a bit of wear on it £720 inc
A new sub frame £732
A NSF wishbone £283
Possibly a NSF strut £363
And as the van is an 07 plate and hasn't had the cam belt and water pump replaced yet, they might as well do that for £510
There's also a new spring required on the OSR which would be £184, so I've suggested doing all four and having the van lowered which would be around £500

I've asked them to come back to me with a decent price for doing the lot, as the labour costs would presumably be lower for doing it all, but as it stands I'm looking at over £3k!

Just want to know, does this sound reasonable, or more like robbery. Would I be better off going to an independent or just getting it done. I obviously want the van to be safe and mechanically sound, but don't want to be a mug.
Any advice, particularly of any alternatives in the Manchester area would be really appreciated.

if you need me I'll be looking for coins down the back of the sofa...

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Robbery. Ask them why it needs subframe and wishbone, then. Go independent

Like you say, might as well go for coilovers, if you do need subframe - try a breakers, I'm sure there was a link to a non OEM driveshaft, somewhere

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad it's not just me who thinks it seems a bit much. They just came back to me to say they could knock about £25 off for doing it all at once, the lowering kit would actually be £630, and the only other possible saving would be that the passenger side strut might not actually need doing?
So, definitely need to find a recommended garage in Manchester that can help...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'd recommend Steve at French Connection in Hyde all day long. His name's Tack on here

Broadway, Hyde, Greater Manchester SK14 4QF
0161 366 6685

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Hi All,
I'd noticed there were different sized gaps between the front tyres and wheel arches on the off and near side, so wondered; if the subframe needed to be re-aligned or something.
I've owned the van for a year, and have had it converted to a camper,
Is it possible that there is nothing wrong with the subframe and all you need is to put high rated springs on one side to offset the effect of any fixed weight that may have been added (on one side) due to the camper conversion?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If like for that to be the case, but it sounds like someone's clobbered the wheels or something previously and I'd just not noticed the difference as I'm not normally able to see both sides at once!

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
I can recommend Volksmaster, they have a garage in Oldham and in Bury. The guy in Oldham has his own T5 and is a very helpful chap.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all - had a look with Steve at a French Connection and struggling to see anything other than a possible bent arm. Fuming with VW but glad I've found someone decent and local instead.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Wow, that's shocking..if this turns out to be the problem after all, I'd be on the phone rogue traders, trading standards and any other authority prepared to listen.. Problem is, this is happening every day.. Our works Iveco Daily gets the same treatment, but because we have a fleet nationwide no one bats an eyelid. Eg it needed a mirror lense (upper & convex lower) £12 & £15 respectively on eBay and they just pop in, but I wasn't allowed.. HAD to use Iveco £90 & £98 plus vat plus labour (to clip in two lenses)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Absolutely Gilo. If it wasn't for the fact that I don't have any money I might've been tempted to just say 'okay, if you say so' because the tendency is to trust the brand name. If VW are using that trust to make extra money out of gullible people, that's pretty worrying to say the least :(

·
Registered
273 Posts
It's the franchise as opposed to VW trying to pull a fast one. I had similar on my last service they said brake fluid needed doing had been in two years or whatever it is. Was only when filing receipt with others that I noticed they'd done it last time!!!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I'd have checked for a sign on my back saying "kick me" !! 3K :eek::*

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Personally, & for piece of mind I would get the whole vehicle alignment checked by someone who is not looking for further work.

It's possible that the van has, before the OP bought it been in an accident & there is actually something wrong with it.

There may very well be signs of damage underneath that the main dealer picked up - it could be a number of things like a weak/mismatched spring one side - time for a second opinion.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Personally, & for piece of mind I would get the whole vehicle alignment checked by someone who is not looking for further work.

It's possible that the van has, before the OP bought it been in an accident & there is actually something wrong with it.

There may very well be signs of damage underneath that the main dealer picked up - it could be a number of things like a weak/mismatched spring one side - time for a second opinion.
Very much agree,could be trying to pull a fast one but they obviously have a reason for quoting for the above parts,I'd be inclined to listen to what they have to say at least.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I don't trust main dealers at all now a main dealer has helicoiled the head for the injector
And another dealer told me in there opinion my camshaft needs replacing but when vw head office rang them to confirm that as it was a warranty replacement they told vw it's perfectly fine and don't need changing
They just make me laugh

1 - 20 of 20 Posts