VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi peeps bit off help needed mt temp gauge is playing up since I got my van lowered is this coincidence? On the motorway it goes from half way like normal to quarter to nothing at all and just keeps moving about is my van broke or what ?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Sounds like a coolant temperature sensor problem. Has the van been running smoothly or smoking more than usual? (These are other symptoms SOMETIMES witnessed with the sensor problem.

Had a similar thing on mine a whole ago. Easy fix.....new sensor and a coolant top up will see you sorted.

There are two sensors and it is usually the 4-pin sensor that plays up and the colours seem to vary so don't be surprised if VW supply you with a different coloured sensor......so long as the part numbers are correct it'll be ok.

2-pin (green) = 059 919 501 A
4-pin (blue) = 701 919369 C

The reason the 4-pin is usually at fault is because it is this sensor that feeds the ECU and temperature gauge with temperature info.
http://www.volksbits.co.uk/servlet/the-7574/COOLANT-TEMPERATURE-SENSOR-VW/Detail

They are mounted on the front of the engine block between injectors 1 & 2. Remove the metal wire loom retaining clip and then there is a small plastic C-shape retaining clip that slides out. Simply remove the sensor then, but make sure the rubber O-ring comes out as well.

There is plenty of info regarding this on the forum if you use the "search" function!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts