VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have a strange noise which only happens when driving in gear through a certain rev range, I'm not sure of the exact revs as I don't have a rev counter but it's about 1500-2000ish then stops.

It sounds like heavy metallic object being pushed across metal, like a sliding noise, a buggered wheel bearing type noise.

Because it happens whilst driving I can't pin point it unless I strap a mate or myself underneath in an Indiana Jones style

Any help would be gratefully accepted T:

Thanks, Nel

·
Registered
480 Posts
Hey Nel....a little leprechaun will help you in this.
Watch that Simpsons episode to see how to catch one...

other than that, any guess is a good one.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Nel....
you must understand that....I'm driving my van and there is a noise, Please help me find it.......is not a very good description of your problem.

Drive your van again and open the windows in turn.
Where is the noise coming from?
front?
back?
left side?
right side?

Jack up a front wheel, put the parking brake ON (add a couple of bricks at the rear wheels), start the engine and put it in a gear.
The van will not move but one front wheel will turn.
Is the noise coming from that wheel?
If not do the same to the other wheel.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha I see :D

It's coming from the engine bay but that's ya lot haha, i'll give your suggestion a go, at least it's a starting point.

Sorry I'm not very diagnostically minded, well that's a lie, normally I'm ok but it's one of those niggly things that I thought id spend ages figuring out, put it on here & someone would say "of course it's that, you should have asked"

Thanks again dude.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts