VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My van went in for its MOT on Thursday and it only failed on excessive play in the 'Nearside Track rod end ball joint' and its dust cover.

Its going back in to have both sides replaced this week so all seemed well but........

Driving it over the last couple of days its suddenly developed a very noticeable vibration in the front nearside which seems to be getting worse

The clues are

* Leading up to the MOT I fitted a whole new exhaust myself (which felt good when driving it afterwards)

* I had the front nearside wheel off to repair a broken brake wear sensor cable (when nipping up the wheel bolts while still off the ground it felt as if the bolts were not pulling the wheel tight to the axle and felt a little loose but it looked to be tight)

The vibration starts at around 30-40mph and is noticeable when going straight or turning right but seems to lessen alot when turning left.

Any ideas what could cause this sudden problem?

Would excessive wear in the Track Rod end ball joint explain the play in the wheel I felt while tightening it up?

Plan to take it back to the garage in the morning as I fear something might collapse if I carry on driving it.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd put my money on the wheel being loose.
Spot on.

I'm amazed but the wheel was very slightly loose even though I was sure I'd tightened it up.

The mechanic had a job getting it tight too but finally managed. Seems like a combination of the hub having surface rust and the alloy wheel centre being dirty was to blame.

Also, my taking the nearside wheel off the day of the MOT and the garage finding the nearside Track Rod end being worn just confused things I:

A little tip then is to give your alloys and hubs a good clean before they go back on. And if they don't slip on easily then they are not mating up properly. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
805 Posts
its the exhaust, it must be touching the steering or the engine, same thing happened to me after getting an exhaust fitted, one of the rubbers had came off.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its the exhaust, it must be touching the steering or the engine, same thing happened to me after getting an exhaust fitted, one of the rubbers had came off.
Thanks for the reply but it does seem like it was the wheel. As soon as I left the garage it was instantly better, will take off all the wheels and give them a good degreasing and the hubs a wire brushing when I have time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts