VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a T5 with the axd engine. I am now suspecting the cylinder head has warped or just generally given up as I am getting oil in the coolant. I have had a new water pump and a new oil cooler. Anyway, rather than getting a new cylinder head I thought about sourcing a second hand engine from a breaker, will the axe engine fit? Will I still use my ecu etc? Are there any other engines that will fit without too much hassle? Any help would be very much appreciated as I am now at my wits end with the bus!!

·
Super Moderator
9,214 Posts
Hi, I have a T5 with the axd engine. I am now suspecting the cylinder head has warped or just generally given up as I am getting oil in the coolant. I have had a new water pump and a new oil cooler. Anyway, rather than getting a new cylinder head I thought about sourcing a second hand engine from a breaker, will the axe engine fit? Will I still use my ecu etc? Are there any other engines that will fit without too much hassle? Any help would be very much appreciated as I am now at my wits end with the bus!!
Before you do pressure check the fuel line after the pump and see if it does. If not then its the tandum pump that is putting fuel in the oil. Search on here there's loads of info

·
Super Moderator
9,214 Posts
Hi, I don't have fuel in the oil, just oil in the coolant??
Ok sorry been reading lots of posts :bhd may still be damaged head as the waterways are very close to the oil ways in the head. Good luck someone will be along in a bit who knowsT:

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
What miles are on your original engine?? Breaker yard engines are an unknown quantity, better to repair what you know you've got sometimes....

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok sorry been reading lots of posts :bhd may still be damaged head as the waterways are very close to the oil ways in the head. Good luck someone will be along in a bit who knowsT:
I have those days every day!!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What miles are on your original engine?? Breaker yard engines are an unknown quantity, better to repair what you know you've got sometimes....
It's done just under 100,000. I am really stuck as to what to do, money is tight at the moment and don't want to buy a head if it turns out to be the block or something else??

·
Registered
494 Posts
id take it to an engineering firm[yellow pages] or ask your local garage where they get their heads skimed and get them to asess it .head gasket most common shouldnt need skimming unless youve been driving it around cooking it.it should be cheeper to fix than put an unknown engine in yours and then mend that. theyare normally in the scrap yard for a good reason

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Someone has told me that the heads can't be skimmed??? Something about because it's gear driven not a timing belt???
Not done one myself but surely there are thicker gaskets available to keep the backlash ratio between the gears?? Surely there must be some adjustment??

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will try have a dig around and see what I can find out.

Anyone got any ideas if any other engine will fit if I decide to go that route?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im going to start and strip the engine this weekend, oil cooler off first and get it tested, if it tests ok then remove the head and go from there. Does this sound like the best way ahead? I am really missing my bus!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
PS - Do I need the specific timing kit (laser 4771 etc) or can I get away with using general locking tools?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts