VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, can anyone help with this. Script is I've been having issues selecting 1st and 3rd gear while away on holiday.
Got back to have a look at the linkage etc, slight play in the ball bush above the gearbox but then noticed oil in the belly pan on the drivers side of the engine bay and what looks like a leak from the brake servo? I've taken a couple of pictures

·
Registered
945 Posts
Is there a leak from the pipe union front left? Could try tightening that. Have someone press the brake pedal hard while you look. But it looks like there's a leak from seal between the brake master cylinder and the servo anyway so it may be new MC time! I don't know if the seal can be renewed separately.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Hi
I had the same gear changing problem's on my old T4 :confused:

Bought a new 'white, hard nylon ball' from VW? A bit fiddly to fit, had to remove the 2 bolts above to change it, the old ball was 'square'!! :eek:

Fitted the new one with plenty of grease around it, lasted another 10 years till I sold her?! T:

What's the brake fluid level like in the reservoir (are you loosing any)? In the pic's it doesn't look very wet?!

If it is leaking, then I would replace the complete cylinder.

Hope this is helpful.

Keith

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi
I had the same gear changing problem's on my old T4 :confused:

Bought a new 'white, hard nylon ball' from VW? A bit fiddly to fit, had to remove the 2 bolts above to change it, the old ball was 'square'!! :eek:

Fitted the new one with plenty of grease around it, lasted another 10 years till I sold her?! T:

What's the brake fluid level like in the reservoir (are you loosing any)? In the pic's it doesn't look very wet?!

If it is leaking, then I would replace the complete cylinder.

Hope this is helpful.

Keith
I replaced the white nylon ball with one from a set from eBay but i think it may be poor quality as seems to be slack already! :(

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Is there a how to on here to replacing the master cylinder?
Don't think there is fella, plenty of threads on it (including mine)one piece of advice from me, make sure
you get the right cylinder.Will save your self a lot of griefT:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Cheers buddy! I've just had another look at my van and it appears to be leaking from the no8 seal on that diagram.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
hi dude , no8 is a nut, the big round one with what looks like a 8 is no3 its just a gaskit ,
that fluid on pics looks like its coming from the top and running down, how wobberly is the fluid bottle. it is poss that iner seals have gone but with it been neer pipe work theres a chance its the ones that hold the bottle bit in

1 - 10 of 10 Posts