VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

So my steering column bearings on my 1991 T4 are starting to disintegrate and I had shards of metal in the steering cowling and some bearings have fallen out.

I've had a mechanic look at it and he says I need a new upper steering column 'from the UJ's up'. I'm not totally sure what that means, but I am tasked with finding it!

I have found this exploded diagram http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_single/catalog/vw/markt/RDW/modell/TR/year/1991/drive_standart/117/hg_ug/419/subcategory/419025/part_id/3690722/lang/e

Could someone in the know perhaps tell me exactly what part numbers I need and does anyone have any ideas about where to get them? I suspect I may have to go for a good second hand one from Ebay due to her age?

Many thanks,
Melissa

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,038 Posts
You have to find out if he means "from" (ie including) the UJs, or the parts after the UJs.
Could be interpreted both ways.

IF it's after the UJs, you need parts 3,4,5,6,7,8 ....the "bolts" that are cancelled are nothing special, any mechanic should have a load in his toolbox.

If it's to include the UJs....you're stuffed unless you can find good second hand parts or "replacements to fit".

Only going from the diagram, but if you have shards of metal in the housing, you may need a complete top assembly (where the key and switches fit).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there,

Many thanks for your reply,

I have checked with the mechanic and it's after the UJ's so I think 3,4,5,7, and 8 - so will i have to find them all and purchase separately - there's no sort of top column 'kit' with it all in? I dont know what nuts and bolts he may carry with him so I'm happy to purchase them all. Any ideas as to where would be the best bet to get them?

Thanks for the heads up about possibly needing complete top assembly - is that the same as what is referred to as 'steering lock' - here: http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_single/catalog/vw/markt/RDW/modell/TR/year/1991/drive_standart/117/hg_ug/905/subcategory/905080/part_id/3689839/lang/e

Thanks again!
Melissa

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,038 Posts
I don't know if they are still available from VW or TPS.
Maybe someone in UK could advise you better for source.....but you could try VW Heritage.

The part for the top steering column would be number 1 and 2 you need. (from your link)
I would think (or should I say "should think"...LOL) that it contains some kind of bearing for where the shaft goes through.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks for your help as it has helped to clarify in my mind, what it is I needed.

I emailed VW heritage and they told me to contact Cali Campers for second hand parts. I phoned them and got the impression they have loads of reclaimed spares from the T4s - they should be sending me what it is I need. :) Fingers crossed!

Cheers again,
Melissa

1 - 5 of 5 Posts