VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have only just bought my first ever T4 and the wife, baby and me are off snowboarding in the french Alps in a few weeks.

I know that chains are a legal requirement in the resorts so wondered if anybody could recommend a particular brand/make or shop to get em from (have Audi A8 winter rims on at the moment: 225/55/16).

Was wondering about snow tyres as well, getting to the resort and back is gonna be about 1500 miles are the tyres fine for hours on the motorway (without snow) or is the idea to change your wheels when you hit the white stuff :confused:

Any help much appreciated and gratefully received. Ta :)

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
Which resort are you heading to.
Resort altitudes differ greatly so may dictate your needs.

Some things you certainly need are the usual Beam Deflectors, GB logo.
Reflective vests, warning triangle and spare bulb kit.

I dont carry snow chains anymore. I much prefer the weissenfel snowsocks.

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
I have driven to Morzine and avoriaz in the past and used snowsocks instead of chains every time (go through Les Gets on the way) so can't see you having any issues.

Last January when I drove up there there was an epic snowfall and the snowsocks were out performing the people with chains on all the way up. Never had a single slip all the way up And there was at least a foot of snow down the valley in Cluses.

·
Registered
892 Posts
snow tyres are fine for non snowy roads. They're actually winter tyres or cold weather tyres so they stop much better on wet roads. Anything below +9c and they will outperform summer tyres.

I've got some Nokians on my Skoda and we stopped to pull a VW Touareg 4x4 out of the snow the other day. Driver was none too impressed at a 2wd pulling him out I:

·
Premium Member
3,400 Posts
Dude, as neil says the sock things look the nuts and seem to work well. Winter tyres can be used on any surface and are a good call, we have winter M+S on the multi got them last year, had to swap them in the snow on the drive though! Tried to source more locally as two are low and they are all sold out! If you hear of anywhere stocking winters let me know!

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers for the advice dude, i'll look into it, any particular ones you'd recommend?

If you're in either resort this season or passing through Les Gets give us a shout, we can be found in bar Zebra most nites :cheers

I have driven to Morzine and avoriaz in the past and used snowsocks instead of chains every time (go through Les Gets on the way) so can't see you having any issues.

Last January when I drove up there there was an epic snowfall and the snowsocks were out performing the people with chains on all the way up. Never had a single slip all the way up And there was at least a foot of snow down the valley in Cluses.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've got some Nokians on my Skoda and we stopped to pull a VW Touareg 4x4 out of the snow the other day. Driver was none too impressed at a 2wd pulling him out I:[/QUOTE]

LOL:

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dude, as neil says the sock things look the nuts and seem to work well. Winter tyres can be used on any surface and are a good call, we have winter M+S on the multi got them last year, had to swap them in the snow on the drive though! Tried to source more locally as two are low and they are all sold out! If you hear of anywhere stocking winters let me know!
Will do buddy; you about today? Might pop over with the wee man if you fancy it or could hook up somewhere else :)

·
Registered
870 Posts
Are you out there all season? I'm thinking of heading over for another season next year and will take the van, stick an eberspacher in it and save myself a few quid on rent!! haha.

Enjoy the snow!

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you out there all season? I'm thinking of heading over for another season next year and will take the van, stick an eberspacher in it and save myself a few quid on rent!! haha.

Enjoy the snow!
Sadly not, that irritation of limited funds + having to get back for work means a short visit rather than a long stay :( But better than nothing :)

The heater option will defo be cheaper than rent! Was hoping to get an eberspacher myself sometime next year, I hear they are rather good.

If you can get out for a season do it, and be sure to check out Les Gets, the black run called 'The goat' is definitely worth a look if you up Mont Cherie Side :eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.