VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a long shot but....... is there anybody within say 50 miles of Dundee who could help adjust my pump timing this weekend for a bit of pie n mash, Cadburys, wonga??
No fault codes on vcds other than the fuel solenoid which is hard wired to the battery, timing showing at 62 and sounding like a tractor.
Driving to France in two weeks and just been let down by a garage. I:
Beer could be involved too on the run back :cheers
It's a huge ask i know but I'm at my wits end and don't have the confidence to do it alone :*
Thanks y'all

·
Full of Cr*p....
7,954 Posts
Plastic cover off the pump belt.
Engine up to temp (shouldn't take long at 62...)
Idler pulley...17mm OE spanner and a 6 (8?)mm allen key to adjust.
Need 2 people unless you can get the lappy to where you can see the screen from under the bonnet.

Should be a 15 minute job, UNLESS the pump belt is a tooth out....but 62 is not too far away from 55, as long as someone hasn't wound it to the end stop.

Oh, and watch your fingers....has to be done with the engine running!:eek:

·
Full of Cr*p....
7,954 Posts
You could I suppose, just note that the engine has to be to temp before you can measure the timing.

Most do it with the engine running.....It's no real problem as long as you remember that there is a rotating cog and a spinning belt.
Usual "mistake" just means the belt rubs some skin off a knuckle....stings like b*ggery, but not likely to amputate.T:

·
Full of Cr*p....
7,954 Posts
Worzel Gummidge is the best person to ask.....very few people know what he got up to with her....It's a bigger secret than Welsh farmers and sheep LOL:

"adjustments can be TINY"....and YOU ask if this is some kind of "kinky stuff"... :*

·
6,651 Posts
Suspect other problem - 62 is not far out enough to be an issue.

Needle lift sensor is suspect.

·
Full of Cr*p....
7,954 Posts
I agree Ron,
But he doesn't have any problems apart from the noise....and 62 WILL make it little "tractory" won't it?
My lodger runs his Passat too far advanced, but A; he can't be bothered letting me connect VCDS, and B; he likes the power he gets.

Suffice to say, he parks about 50 metres from my house, but I KNOW when he's home as I can hear the engine!!!! LOL:

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ron, it runs lumpy and only boosts occasionally, no error codes on VCDS, had the ecu checked, ok, can't find a break in the usual wiring locations, n75 ok,.....
I'll adjust a teeeeeeny bit and see if it makes a difference

1 - 12 of 12 Posts