VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello every one
I have been lurking around for a month or so looking at T4’s and I have been offered a
1996 T4 2.4 Diesel LWB with 182,000 miles on the clock Tax 02/2013 Mot 07/2013 for £2k
My question is
What are non-turbo vans like to drive?
What sort of mileage do you get from the van?

T:T:T:T:T:

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
The 2.4 is a rock steady lump that will just go and go with the added advantage of no horrid ecu or complext wirring to go wrong just a plan old diesel. And I'd you feel the need to go a bit faster then go down the turbo route

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I have a 2.4D non turbo they are slow but pull well T:

They are simple and cheap to fix I think they are a great bus as long as you don't do alot of motorway mile's T:

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I had 10 years with a 2.4d Caravelle and 200K miles...loved it. :D

As other say, simple, solid always gets you there. T: But it is slow. I would not go back after having the 2.5tdi but if you see how carefully I drive it, to be honest I might as well have stuck with my 2.4d

If it fits your budget and you are good under the bonnet, then the 2.4d is a very good choice, After that you get into fancy ECU, sensors and all sorts of kit that is great when it works...but if it goes wrong :( Big bucks.

Good luck T:

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Not wanting to be too picky, but I would disagree with Cosmic...I trailed mine all over France and Spain loaded to the hilt for camping and family...They are fine on the motorway/autoroutes. 2.4d is a great engine. T:

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Mine will sit on the motorway at 70mph all day long , But 80mph is a strain and starts to drink the fuel.

There is one other good thing about the older 2.4D they can run Veg oil and thats alot cheaper T:

·
6,678 Posts
The 2.4 is a rock steady lump that will just go and go with the added advantage of no horrid ecu or complext wirring to go wrong just a plan old diesel. And I'd you feel the need to go a bit faster then go down the turbo route
Agreed, and they can be made to deliver a lot more bhp with no ecu too so you have the option to make it more powerful if you so wish.

The following thread will make good bedtime reading

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=58182&page=150

1 - 10 of 10 Posts