VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Here i go again.

12K views 57 replies 7 participants last post by  double h 
#1 ·
Having had my T4 for around ten years its one of the family but I have not lavished her with the love and care I should she deserved and now have to hit her with the welder once again but this time will get the underside sealed and sorted and show her the love she deserves;)
I will put pics up of the work I am doing as I go along to try and shame myself into doing a proper job. I don't do shiny paint as I am cheap and prefer to run shabby without worries rather than mint with many worries.

This was my bus at its best before my better half told me to paint her black, it looked like it had come straight out of the scrappy and turned heads probably for the wrong reasons though:)
Will get more pics up of my bus through the years when I can dig them out then its down to the nitty gritty ball ache I have to endure to keep my baby otr.

See less See more
#5 ·
Good build thread, Those og inner sills are dreamy, mine were replaced with 1.6 cold rolled I fabricated the last time around. This time round there will be wax oil and chassis paint to save any further welding up old v dubs outside on my drive. ;)I am kicking myself for not looking after the old girl:(

#39 ·
been there........
done that.....
nearly 3 years later its actually back on road-worrying duties again I:

admittedly I tdi'd it & did a fecloada other work & more for other peoples projects (not forgetting my toys :cool: )

think I cut out & welded in 21 patches in the rear floor aswell as both front doorsills and osf chassis outrigger under airfilter :( & its a year newer than yours I:

anyway, keep up the good work T:

Rich.

#14 ·
Got the week off work to get my Bus done, got side tracked today though by my mate who needed a rack modified to fit his bike and a new set of Renthal superbike bars arrived in the post for me so I couldn't resist fitting them. From now on my focus is on the Bus. Got this wee bit done today to get the ball rolling again.

#16 ·
Another day, It was ing down this morning so my head stayed in nightshift mode and got up just before 12. Went and got a gas refill and a couple of reels of 0.6 welding wire then the sun came out. The inner sills look bad but are fairly solid up to the step area so put new metal in where it was needed.

#18 ·
Last thing for today was wire brush foock out of it, slap on a couple of coats of red oxide and hope it lasts. This should be a labour of love but I have been too busy fannying about with my high maintenance Lambretta that seems to want a top end engine strip all the time, its now a race to get done for my winter wheels=no joy:(

#19 ·
I've missed out a couple of bits from the o/s rear corner what has been done just in case there is anyone following this thread?. Need to go down to Franklin Steel Dumfries tomorrow and order a sheet of 1.6 cold rolled(more in money)and looking at the metal I have cut away from the front arch I will probably be on the Just Kampers website to spend more hard earned:(I have put swear words in so you can fill in the blanks:)

#20 ·
Today all I done was go over the welds with seam sealer. I went down the beach with wife, kids and dog. Yesterday I fitted the middle sill that I found so slow a job I got ed off and took the day off today. Anyway yesterday I cut up and joddled up the sill for fitting and I must say the panel was easy joddled so fairly thin.

#24 ·
And another bit done today.

Done the sill closing panel later on and a couple off bits and pieces so the next step is get the sill on and build on that. The o/s is nearly done and its the end of my holiday, back to work Sunday night:(. When the o/s is done that's the major ballache, as the n/s is no where near as bad and then its a new cv boot, power steering belt and rear section exhaust then mot test time:) Roll on:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.