VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,
Just to introduce myself, I’m Leigh & my “yet to be named” 1997 T4 1.9 TD 800 Special SWB.

Really pleased to meet you all, gain some knowledge, eventually share some & simply be part of this wonderful community.

My amazing wife just bought me my T4 as a gift for 5 years of cancer treatment, personally I think it’s just to get me out the house and dwelling in the garage 🤣 Either way, I’m stoked. I’ve wanted this beauty since my teenage years!
I’ve SORN the gorgeous beast so I can make a start on it, nothing actually wrong with it as such, I just want to improve on it, convert from a day van to a fully fledged ‘week away’ home from home.

I live in the South West, have no mechanics skills... yet, have no carpentry skills... yet & may even learn a little upholstery while I’m at it.

Wish me luck & thank you in advance if I read, use or receive advice, tips & tricks from you whether written in the past, present or future.

Stay safe, stay well
Leigh & “yet to be named”
8979B043-B9BC-45EE-BFE8-1256870ADB37.jpeg

·
Registered
840 Posts
Hi Leigh, welcome to the forum.
There is a vast wealth of information and inspiration on here. Most are are a friendly bunch, so any questions will be promptly answered. You tube is also a good source of information.
Good luck with your new toy.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
What a brilliant present mate and well deserved, good on yi.

You sound very enthusiastic and trust me you will need that!

You will find lots of help on here and the search actually works now, but if you get stuck shout up.

Looking forward to progress and more photos

All the best 🤟

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,510 Posts
Have fun!
I've just had cancer treatment, but just a minor "cut'n'shut" on my "rear end"...have to wear a poo bag for 3 months, but everything should be clear then.
Showed MY wife the thread, she said "You've already got one!"

Just remember with any wood work you do, measure twice, cut once (and then cut again to make it fit!!!!)

You're lucky if you can get it in the garage...all my work has to be done outside (and it's dark here, and snowing half the year!)

As said, plenty of help on here, and apart from a few, most are friendly.

Gaz

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What a truly top 👍 welcome, thank you all! @smarty63 @jc1 @stuartt5t30 @Or_GazM

I’m hooked on YouTube binge watching basic mechanics then tabbing out to treat myself to a few absolute“essentials” like... a new aerial and some paint for my faded bumper. Plasti-Dip or Rust-oleum black Matt? Or something else entirely if you dudes know better?

I’ve already got my camera equipment set up in the garage for before/after shots, maybe a few vids also.

Sorry to hear you have just had cancer treatment @Or_GazM even more sorry you now have to carry around your own waste 😂 Do hope you get the all clear. I’m incurable... still, better than the next stage ⚰ 🤪
Hi to the wife too Gaz, hope you are both getting the support you need through cancer, I think sometimes it’s harder for the spouse than it is the patient.

Oh and I’m in Somerset @stuartt5t30 what about you?

Leigh

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Im all the way down in Cornwall bud 👍
Maybe try some wurth plastic dye on the bumpers bud did mine and worked a treat
Some good vw shows in the Somerset area (when not on lockdown) i doubt that my local show cvwoc jamboree will happen in August this year but check it out on the web /YouTube and if your up for coming along (when it is on again) give us a shout i would be glad to give you a guided tour 👍

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
Welcome aboard Leigh, that is a cracking present from your other half
It looks to be kitted out some what already. Be interesting to see what you have planned.
Can only echo what’s already been said, I’m less than a yeah into owning my first van and learnt (still learning) a heck of a lot from the good members on here. Have a look around in the build threads for help and ideas, and as always ask if you’re unsure, there are no silly questions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hi Leigh

If your bumpers are plastic ( not painted before ) I would try "For Ever Black" or I have seen a few people heat them up to bring back to life . I replaced mine as to be honest i think i only paid about £70 each and its not a big Job . Its amazing what a good T cut and polish will do.

The main thing is take your time and enjoy it and most of all take care of yourself.

Andy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts