VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well first T4 is s in the yard outside looking very pleased with itself, my wife has decided the van is called "Norman" - i don't know why but there you go! So i really (as in really) like the van BUT i am disappointed in the engine. Admittedly he is nearly twenty and a straight 2.4D no turbo, but someone overtook me on a push bike (might be a slight exaggeration there?) i will need to change the gearbox as the gear selector is 'temperamental' shall we say. so i thought if I'm doing the gearbox go the whole hog and do the engine as well. Maybe a 2.5Tdi? I have read in a couple of places on here people saying about using a Golf block or a Jetta? Is this feasible? I am not exact spanner alien but aren't the engine bays a different size and shape on a golf and a t4?? Pictures of "norman" if i can work out how to upload.

Pblueman x

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks pal, my missus is desperate for a half decent split in the weather so we can do an overnighter! lol

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Welcome along bud!

I have a 2.4d also and I will admit its no speed machine, but I have never though you know I wish it was faster.. I may just be used to it now.

When I first got the van it was pretty sluggish, but after a big engine overhaul it performs better and uses much less fuel. £20 easily gets me over 100 miles.

Theres a 5th gear mod that lowers the revs to stop it screaming at you at 70mph.

Changing all the selector bushes and balls and the short shift mod certainly improves the gear stick no end.

Enjoy the van that's the main thing. Even if you have to enjoy things more slowly! On the plus side theres absolutely nothing complicated (within basic mechanical knowledge) to fix or change. Tools being the main issue with most jobs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts