VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!
Name's Tim, and having lurked on these forums for a while am now the owner of a blue and yellow 1995 T4 2.4D named "Vinnie" by the previous owner. (pictures to follow)
I look forward to being a member of the forums, and hoepfully being able to contribute once i'm through the noob stages of van ownership.

I've got some issues that have come up as I've started driving it about, and I believe I have identified the issues but can't find the solutions. Here we go:
1) slightly slack throttle cable - can't find (having searched) a resource on how to neatly tighten it off a bit to make the van a little more responsive
2) The van is very chuggy at low revs and has very little power/comes close to stalling when pulling away in first or driving at low speeds and it sounds like the clutch is pretty worn (possible noise from contact when disengaged). My conclusion is new clutch, and possibly the engine choking. At high revs the van seems fine and has plenty of power, just the pulling away is a bit hairy!

I'm hoping fixing 1) will make 2) easier to drive with until i can get it in to have a service.

3) I got a set of these with the van because the previous owner said that he bought them to replace the current ones but hadn't got round to it
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/T4-Gear-Linkage-Selector-Repair-Kit-/280544660437?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4151c3cbd5#ht_500wt_922
Question: anyone got an installation guide? I've had a look but the brooklands manual doesn't show them particularly well if they are there.

If anyone's got any suggestions, i'd be very happy to hear them!
Cheers :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Having spent some time looking through the forums again, I've found the answer to number 3), and will be attempting it in the coming days! wish me luck!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Having spent some time looking through the forums again, I've found the answer to number 3), and will be attempting it in the coming days! wish me luck!
Oh holy mother of god, my poor kuckles are still sore from changing them LOL:

Welcome along T:

·
Premium Member
3,716 Posts
welcome on board!

hows's 1 & 2?

there is an issue as you may have found with the throttle cable being sticky and unresponsive, casusing similar symptoms, and cable repalcement is the easy fix

keep searchinhg here till you find such info

good luck

·
Its about time I showed up
11,653 Posts
Throttle cable is a sinch to tighten and yes if its slack then it wont be helping.. Look at the Diesel pump end and you should be able to work it out. Pull out the clip and pull the cable tight then put the clip back on.. Youll see T:

Also you could turn the fueling up on the pump with a spanner, again its very simple.

2.4d's are fairly basic and you should find your way round it in no time.. Oh and they are slow if you were wondering ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers for the advice guys :D
Having rolled around under the van for a bit the diagnosis is as follows:
1) new accelerator cable because the current one won't tighten anymore. A quick experiment with cable ties suggest the engine will be much more amenable with the new one in place. £30 seemed pretty reasonable considering the difference bodging it a bit made.

2) cable tie fix means the chug is much less :ILU:. But the clutch still feels not right and I don't want to explode it - service and replacement being investigated.

3) there's rattly bits in the gear selector, but the garage I'm asking about clutch stuff said it's not an issue to chuck 'em in if I already have them and the gearbox is exposed anyway. This should also save my knuckles!

Thanks again, and hopefully I'll be able to graduate to the conversions board in the near future H:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A little update: New throttle cable = lovely responsive acceleration. The clutch is definitely easier to cope with.
HOWEVER - the fuel pump is leaking a the odd drip of fuel. I gunned it a bit to test the travel of the pedal and it seems like there was more leakage after the high revs. Still only a few drips but still...

The question ill be asking all over the place for the next few hours is: Can I drive 200 miles without replacing the leaking throttle spindle?? I realise replacing it will sort out possibly the last of my chuggy idling and i'll have more power, but we'd planned to take the van to london for a (skate) event and plans now would be difficult to change

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Hey if you've got break down cover, go if the trip. hahaha, Whats the worst that could happen? you'd have to call for a pick up. It's all part of life and if you don't have a tow in the 1st 6 months of having a van then your not really driving it!I: LOL:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey if you've got break down cover, go if the trip. hahaha, Whats the worst that could happen? you'd have to call for a pick up. It's all part of life and if you don't have a tow in the 1st 6 months of having a van then your not really driving it!I: LOL:
Ha! Cheers mate :D am taking it for a spin to the out of town supermarket this evening to stock up - quick blast to see how it goes. If it hasn't got worse by the time we get back, we'll give it a go. if not, there's a VW centre a 10 minute walk from the event so if it does go up it'll work itself out one way or another.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers 'Kel :)

For anyone following the progress of Vinnie, the fuel leak doens't seem to have come back, and the only issues arising from the round trip is that it's very difficult to find first gear (the lack of low speed power was third gear starts :( ), and the clutch is actually ok for a while longer (until I can afford the new one - tyres come first)

My list of jobs for next weekend extends to:
-> new gear selector bushings
-> oil change (perhaps)
-> injector cleaner (anyone recommend a good one?)
-> air, fuel, oil filter checks/cleans
-> have a look at side door slide rails (door slightly low)

Any other regular jobs I should be looking to do?

·
Registered
734 Posts

...err, cutting the grass, doing the washing, weeding the front garden, fixing the leaking washing machine... I: :D

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Cheers 'Kel :)

For anyone following the progress of Vinnie, the fuel leak doens't seem to have come back, and the only issues arising from the round trip is that it's very difficult to find first gear (the lack of low speed power was third gear starts :( ), and the clutch is actually ok for a while longer (until I can afford the new one - tyres come first)

My list of jobs for next weekend extends to:
-> new gear selector bushings
-> oil change (perhaps)
-> injector cleaner (anyone recommend a good one?)
-> air, fuel, oil filter checks/cleans
-> have a look at side door slide rails (door slightly low)

de garden the vent foam in the drivers wing.
wash & polish every weekend
check your reflection in shop windows I:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

...err, cutting the grass, doing the washing, weeding the front garden, fixing the leaking washing machine... I: :D
oh god don't remind me! They've all gone out the window since I got my new toy.

check your reflection in shop windows
as if i haven't been doing that already ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looking forward to it :D

Also, as people are chatting here, can anyone recommend a good one-stop shop (either online or hampshire) for t4 components? Any shops I should avoid?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts