VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So before Xmas I got the chance to buy a reimo converted T4.
It's a 1998 2.4 AAB 1100 syncro D

I'm told that it needed a little welding on the arches & sills but figured that couldn't be too hard...
I have it a cursory glance & yeah, the arches were scabby & there were holes in the sills. I saw all the parts looked to be available & did the deal.
I drove it back to my shed & it drove well, massively underpowered but I hear that's to be expected. There was a whining noise from the rear but was difficult to pick up due to it having mud terrain remoulds fitted.
When I got the van back I figured the best thing to do was strip the insides out before welding.
This was when I discovered just how bad these things can be.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
1998 2.4 AAB 1100 syncro D

I'm told that it needed a little welding on the arches & sills but figured that couldn't be too hard...

I drove it back to my shed & it drove well, massively underpowered but I hear that's to be expected.

This was when I discovered just how bad these things can be.

2.4's are no racecar but if setup correctly & in good health will get around (ish o_O )

told about welding & didnt take a look? bad idea...

yup, they can rust, anyone who believes that t4's dont rust is either delusional or telling porkies:ROFLMAO:

my 1995 1.9d swb t4 was a 'goodun' when I bought it 10 years ago, about 5 years ago I started 'fixin' rot in the rear floor.....

21 patches later & if I'd realised I'd have cut out the whole floor & replaced with new instead of patches (floor is an 8' x 4' area so a 'sheet' would do the job nicely:cool:)
then there was a scab on the passanger door-sill, turned out both sides needed replacing & the inner sills.....

2 years ago the sliding-door's lower runner rotted away (30x30x3mm rsa to the rescue)

think next year I'm going to be fitthin new front wings as the arches are starting to go raggy:confused:

otherwise it's soild:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Rich.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was a little disheartened but not put off completely, bought myself several new parts & then found someone with a floor cut (most of it at least) so I bought it.
I had a mate who was going to come & help out as I was working a lot & he did a few bits.
After seeing the work I asked him not to continue, it was fairly shocking...
I then stumbled upon a guy on facebook breaking a van for parts, asked about the shell. It seemed fairly solid but mostly stripped out so I've bought that.
Have now stripped insides out completely,
Got to replace the passenger side sill & paint the whole thing (1st time I've painted anything)
Then rebuild my van on the new shell 🙄

1 - 3 of 3 Posts