VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having hired a lwb poptop T5 last year I took the plunge and bought a 2008 swb fixed hightop (Nu Venture Argyle to be precise).
Apart from a couple of overnights near Lockerbie the van has mainly sat over the winter and is still starting and running well -as it should.
I want to install the basic Fiamma 2 bike rack on the rear tailgate. I know it will fit but am unsure whether the bikes will foul the hightop roof when the tailgate is raised.
So here's my question - are there any folk out there who have a tailgate rack fitted to a similar hightop?
I don't want to install a towbar.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi silver snail and welcome . I have not got a actual factual answer , yes or no . .... But , if the handlebars and seat are lower than the tailgate hinges and the tailgate opens 90deg to horizontal the bars and seat will end up behind the hinges by the same amount . So fingers crossed it works for you. I have not got tailgate/high roof or bike rack to measure for you . Maybe see if you can find a picture on here with rack and bikes and guess some measurements . Good hunting .mac.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I've got a Fiamma bike rack, but no high top. I can offer to take a couple of photos with the tailgate hinged up though if you think that might help you?

I would guess it would be OK, but perhaps not with bikes on, for opening.

I have a pop top installed and there is no where near any fouling.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Silver Snail, I had a T4 and now have a T5, both Auto Sleeper Trident Hi Tops, both with Fiamma bike racks, here's the gen:

They both work (to an extent!), but the T4 is the only one that works 100% with bikes on and off, ie the tailgate will open fully.
The T5 will open nearly fully without bikes but only partially with bike on (the bikes on the rack will touch the roof if opened more than a little way).

So I guess most hi tops will be similar.

Ps I love my T5 and am willing to put up with the bike prob's as the upgrade to T5 makes driving a joy.

(had x3 bays, x2 T25's all aircool, and x2 T25's watercool and a T4 ) on the way and although the waterpump failed last year:(, this is the best of the lot.

Hope this helps.

Pat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts