VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
I have joined this forum as i am currently on the search for a 4motion that i can use to replace my old van and a 2013 landrover discovery 4. It will be used daily as a work/commute van and also as a family (2 adults a teenager and a 2 year old) holiday vehicle but occasionally need 5 seats. We are regularly up in scotland in the depths of winter so a 4 motion is essential

I have narrowed the search down to either a (2+1 front seats) panel van and then fit a double seat in the rear and some sort of day van type conversion

or

A factory Kombi and do a day van conversion on that

My old van has sold and i am now selling my discovery so as soon as that sells i will be in the market for the right T5. I won't be too concerned about age or mileage but ideally need to buy the vehicle and complete the work for the price i get for my discovery (approx £16-17k). I have been looking at the ex AA vans on eBay that are 15 plate and around £10-12k but am trying to convince my missus that yellow is the way forward:D

Hopefully soon the Discovery will sell then the fun will start
Paul

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hello Paul,

You are presumably the same Marsie from D4 etc?

Though T5 & T6’s are good vans. They definitely do not have the same comfort and sound deadening as a D4.

Last September we took our new to us T6 Kombi 4motion dsg 2018 to Aviemore. Thoroughly enjoyed it but not as easy going as the D4.

Though strangely, the wife is happier driving the VW!

Good luck with the search, hopefully you enjoy the Transporter.
T:
Barry

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Barry, yes i am the very same Marsie T:. The trouble is i sold my van earlier in the year and have just been using my D4 for everything. My car get used for work 6 days a week and holidays 2 or 3 times a year. I understand that a t5 will not be as refined as the d4 but am prepared to compromise on that. Just need to either sell the D4 or find someone who is wanting a trade:*

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Hi Barry, yes i am the very same Marsie T:. The trouble is i sold my van earlier in the year and have just been using my D4 for everything. My car get used for work 6 days a week and holidays 2 or 3 times a year. I understand that a t5 will not be as refined as the d4 but am prepared to compromise on that. Just need to either sell the D4 or find someone who is wanting a trade:*

I went from land cruiser to a T5 4motion, first thing I noticed was how loud it is in the cab and how uncomfortable the passenger bench seat is. That's about it really, I've been out in the snow and it handles a million times better than expected, made me realise maybe all the hi/lo diff-locks etc were not necessary.

They also hold their value very well, lost about 7k on the land cruiser over four years.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am getting a bit bewildered with all the combinations i can get. I am not having a lot of luck selling my Discovery so my other option is to keep my disco and get a cheaper T5 as well

Question is do i get a tidy earlier T5 2.5 or a rougher later T5.1 2.0??

If you guys had the choice which would it be?:*

Bearing in mind i would want a 4 motion, i have seen high mileage 2010-13 5.1s and low mileage tidy 05-09 T5 2.5s for my budget
Thanks in advance
Paul

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hello Paul,

Not too sure if it’s any use or to your liking?
My T5.1 tipper will probably have to be moved on next month.
It’s not really needed, but I like it and will miss it.
Will try and find a picture with it in.

It would be liable to vat.
Thanks
Barry

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Need a van/kombi/caravelle mate unfortunately. It needs to be able to carry 4 or 5 of us upto scotland a few times a year
Thanks anyway
If i didn't need the seats i would be interested
Paul

1 - 8 of 8 Posts