VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi first post so be kind please decided after many years to take the plunge and buy a T5 used to have a camper years ago and beatle karman convertible but have now decided to buy a T5, i have many questions so be gentle please, been out of this seen for years and now the kids are older (18 & 21) its time to take the plunge, want a camper really for weekend purposes but toying with the idea of purchasing a T5 van or Kombi and having it converted so main questions are where to buy and what to buy

Gonna go to Blackbushe auctions for guide to prices of T5's

Have done quite a bit research on conversions and how much they cost.
Any views more than welcome and thanks for taking time to read thuis post

Chris
Portsmouth
:ILU:

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Hi and welcome,

Well I've had mine for about 3 months now, but I found that auctions were expensive (top dollar), traders OK if you want to choose something "off the shelf", classifieds are good value if you become a member for a tenner. I found mine on an eBay classified.

Piston Heads is another good place to get a feel for the price. Autotrader/Van Trader also helps, but a few scams going around on there at the moment. I enquired about a couple and they tried to drag me in. Also watch out for it on eBay.

I'm sure your not daft, but "I'm out of the country so you can't see the van" and "I'm PayPal verified, pay the money to them and I will deliver the van, then they will release the money to me" and other such attempts are red flags to run a mile.

Good luck. There's a local Hampshire T5 meet. Check the community section. We're meeting in the daylight next time so you can always pop along and have a look at a few vans/campers/velles.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi thanks for your reply, i have heard about auctions being overpriced and a bit of a gamble so may just wait until something comes up in the vantrader and classifieds, was quite temted to buy from a trader but again think you pay top dollar with them but maybe you pay for what you get with them with a bit of warranty and peace of mind
regards
chris

·
Premium Member
30,977 Posts
classifieds are good value if you become a member for a tenner.
Just to clarify, you don't need to be a subscribed member to look at and purchase from the classifieds section. You only need to be subscribed if you want to post a thread in the classifieds section T:

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Just to clarify, you don't need to be a subscribed member to look at and purchase from the classifieds section. You only need to be subscribed if you want to post a thread in the classifieds section T:
Hmmm, was this the case last year? Weird, as I had to pay £10 membership to get access to the classifieds. I just checked from another computer and you are spot on. No membership needed. Maybe I hadn't even got a log on, I've worked out you need one of those!

Anyway, it's a tenner for a good cause. I spend too much time on here.

Correction, look in the classifieds on here, it's free:D

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Called into local dealer in my home town to catch up with a mate that i won't say works there more like sits behind a desk anyway he said that they have so many at mo they are doing deals and selling at what they buy in at. Example 60 plate 12k on clock £11.5 +vat with warranty i don't think is too bad when you look on ebay and the same thing is £13 ish.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Hello mate and welcome to the forum T:
It's all well and good going to blackbushe auctions mate but just be weary as there all mostly ex work vans!! (driving conditions etc) as long as they've been well looked after and got full service history you shouldn't get any probs!! T:
Good luck and I hope you find and van soon :ILU:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Called into local dealer in my home town to catch up with a mate that i won't say works there more like sits behind a desk anyway he said that they have so many at mo they are doing deals and selling at what they buy in at. Example 60 plate 12k on clock £11.5 +vat with warranty i don't think is too bad when you look on ebay and the same thing is £13 ish.
Hi have you got the name of your local vw dealerT:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just spent months trawling internet and found a good ex electricians van... In hindsight i would have done alot more research into which company i used to do the conversion. Picked a small family firm who said all the right things, did a good job on the conversion but had to take it back after 10 months when the pop top leaked from the sides and a tear appeared in the canvas. Have completley bodged it up and are now having to take legal action against them as they have changed the company name and arent willing to do anything to put right their up.. So shop around and get lots of recommendations off here.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I am going to start sending everything to auction I guess
If I can take enough PX I will send it to a central location
and advertis fit as the Vansales.com sale.
Some will be one owner late VW low miles
along with usual Masters with dense on every
panel that I didn't sell from new

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi thanks eveyone with your help its most appreciated, especially have a read on here on all advice.
i wont jump in and buy as i wont to be sure about getting a decent base to convert to camper so will do a hell of a lot looking reading and studying before i take the plunge.
Thanks again peeps
Regards
chrisT:

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hi Mate.T:

I spent months looking for the right T5, search prolonged by me changing my mind on spec and colour, found one in Norwich at a garage in the end, and though, um, maybe.:*

2008, 44000 miles, full service history, air con,electric windows, comfort seat etc etc. Got it down to £10250 plus vat, 6 month warranty. Nice clean and very tidy van.:)

What im saying is take your`e time and make sure you get the right van sitting on your`e drive, it will be worth the wait fella.:D

Regards

Dave S.

·
Registered
149 Posts
hi mate same as above really

ive been looking for the rite van for ages bought them off e bay ( mostly )
been to all the auctions never seemed to have all the things on the must have list

just bought a 2008 1.9 t28 44k 1 owner electric windows air con tailgate eelec mirrors

up for £9995 + vat done a great deal and also got 12mths tax / mot / warranty
mud flaps new cambelt and water pump

bought at sinclair direct bridgend i was checking websites everyday this 1 wasnt advertised my mate spotted it

cheers paul

1 - 16 of 16 Posts