VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people just joined up, I am a long time fan of all vw transporters aircooled and water cooled and have spent the last 5 years rebuilding gearboxes for them...I began to wonder if there is a calling for a dedicated t5/t4 gearbox service?? It would be interesting to hear your thoughts and your experiences with your gearboxes! In the mean time I'll be saving up for a t5 :)

Cheers

Alex

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
You can find out by telling me why my t4 box has a whine in 4th and 5th? ;)

Welcome matey! You'll prove a valuable member :p

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
I'd have loved a dedicated T4 box service a year back when I finally bit the bullet and had my Eurovan T4 box rebuilt. The only people my pals at the garage could get to refurbish the CHP 5-speed box were Ivor Searle. Not sure that £1,245.15 + VAT collected from and returned to Edinburgh was cheap :eek: but at least it did include new synchros, bearings, seals, etc. Oh, and with a natty black coating.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How much?!! Still, peace of mind is priceless isn't it! Ozy what 5th 6th gear mod specifically? You mean taller ratios? That's easy.....

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
How much?!! Still, peace of mind is priceless isn't it! Ozy what 5th 6th gear mod specifically? You mean taller ratios? That's easy.....
I think a service offering recon box with higher top ratios would go down quite well fella

And if you could do auto box's all the better, they seem to be the more fragile

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well guys I have decided I will be extending my services to a dedicated Transporter and VAG transmission service! I have taken out a trade subscription so feel free to contact me on the forum, find us on Facebook, www.blackboxtransmissions.co.uk, [email protected]. With nearly 1000 VW gearbox recons under my belt feel confident to trust me with your gearbox repair, exchange recon gearbox, race build, 6speed conversion, ratio alterations, LSD diff fitting etc. T:

·
Registered
403 Posts
Well done, and good luck, matey. T:

I would imagine you will get a good few customers off the forum.

Maybe even me, judging by the whining noise i'm getting in 4th and 5th! :GL

·
Formerly known as "dzv0ry" (but nobody knows why)
1,221 Posts
Is is possible to change anything in a T4 2.5 box to raise all the ratios or just change the 5th gear cogs?

My 88 bhp 2.5 is now 132bhp and I don't use first very often anymore, upping all the gears would be nice, not just 5th.

10,824 Posts
Is is possible to change anything in a T4 2.5 box to raise all the ratios or just change the 5th gear cogs?

My 88 bhp 2.5 is now 132bhp and I don't use first very often anymore, upping all the gears would be nice, not just 5th.

Yep agreed if you can do longer gears in all of them that would be cracking!!!! 6th gear would be ace but I bet expensive, I have 250 horses under my bonnet that i would love to make proper use out of :(

·
Super Moderator
8,977 Posts
what can you do to the 6 speed jfs box found on the t5's. It seems to rev out quick in 1st and 6th could do with the engine rpm reducing for the boys with a bit more power:)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haha dont do that, open the bonnet, look down at the gear selector area on the top of the box, very close to the reverse light switch and selector is the code stamped onto a small flat on the casing. Dont worry too much if you cant see it. I guess what I could look at doing is building up some longer ratio boxes that all the guys wanting longer gears can just buy off the shelf and return the original to me when swapped?! Not necessarily as expensive as you'd think.... ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts