VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Iam new to the VW scene. Looking to get a T4 i have got about £3K to spend on one. I race a Honda at the weekends so the van will be used for ferrying some parts and wheels around and also for kipping in occasionally. one question what engine would you recomend Iam after a lwb but is the 1900 or 2500 better Iam after reliability.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Hello there and welcome to the forum. Personly I would get a 2.5 tdi but that's just me. If you are gonna carry your bike in it it will give you the extra umph you need. My brother uses his for track days and great for spending a few days in. But he does have his bikes on a trailer as his is a camper inside. T:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi - welcome. 2.5 would be good. As you live in Kent, make sure that it is ok to drive in the l.e.z. in London. Check registration number on T.F.L. web-site before buying !
Cheers

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Aaahhhh yes good point on the LEZ in London. If you are gonna find your self driving within the m25 get a PETROL one as many t4 diesel will be affected, O2 plate and older are ristricted from January 2012. And most diesel t4 on a 07 plate and older will be affected from 2015 :eek:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi guys thanks for the replys. I dont go in to London so lez not an issue. Its a car I race not a bike and it wont tow the car got something else for that it will be more of a support van.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Hi guys thanks for the replys. I dont go in to London so lez not an issue. Its a car I race not a bike and it wont tow the car got something else for that it will be more of a support van.
Well then lee a T4 will serve you well. And the forum is a very good place to start. What part of Kent are you? I'm margate way T: there are t4/t5 meets up at blue water / lake side once a month. Pop along if you can then you can check out some vans and chat to the guys and gals. :ILU:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Iam in sunny Ashford, So there is no difference in the reliability between the 2 engine sizes then and turbo or not?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
1.9 is no good at all for towing, I tried it with my dads caravan it was awful, for what you need it for it has to be 2.5tdi*<:)>

·
Registered
756 Posts
Hi Lee

Just a point, make sure you phone round re insurance, my renewel just come in from Adrian Flux for my 2.5tdi 102bhp, £615 fully comp and im 42 with 10yrs no claims !!!

·
Super Moderator
9,190 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Lee

Just a point, make sure you phone round re insurance, my renewel just come in from Adrian Flux for my 2.5tdi 102bhp, £615 fully comp and im 42 with 10yrs no claims !!!
Had a quick check iam the young side of 40 and I can get insurance at just over £300 fully comp so ok on that one.T:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi all,

Does anyone know the difference in the length in the rear loading area between a lwb and swb van. I can find the difference in wheelbase length which is roughly a foot but how does this relate to the loading area.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I might be going to look at a T4 its a 2.5tdi 88bhp. It has 180000 miles on it but with full service history from a main dealer.
What are your thoughts on the milage?

·
Registered
756 Posts
As long as its been serviced regularly with good oil and the belts and water pump have been done then that mileage is nothing, just run in.........my 2003 2.5tdi 102bhp has done 178k and still going strong, which by the way is up for sell ! lol

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I saw your one for sale but is a little to expensive for me. This one is a 2003 with full service history for £3K just best part of 180000 miles

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got myself a T4 today. bright red 2.5tdi. year 2000 with 120,000 miles on the clock just had the belts done and has full main dealer service history apart from the last 2 stamps which are independant. It is good and straight with no rust or damage. Want to start working on it but the new season starts soon so the race car has to come first damn.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts