VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Not sure whether there were any first post rules but it's prob best practice to say hi anyway. Chris originally from a T25 (T3 for the Antipodeans) in Devon England, now living in Central Coast NSW, Australia.

Just bought a 94 2.5 Petrol Manual T4 out here to enjoy long weekends away with wife, 2 kids and a greyhound. Still waiting on a necessary crab bar before we can do overnights but took it down the beach along with the car yesterday during a break in the rain to have bacon rolls and coffee overlooking the surf. The van is a discoverer conversion with poptop, captains chairs, integrated water tank (which i originally was intending to fill with petrol) the usual electrics, sink and fridge, grill and 2 burner, and shower out back. Also has wrap around wind out awning.

Been out in Oz for 7 years now, and i originally thought the dog could sleep in the awning but then started thinking about beasties and it not being completely enclosed from ground up (like a tent), turns out he's claimed the drivers seat now anyway. He is horse sized but somehow enjoys curling up on the thing. So be ready for future posts about a family of four and a horse in a T4!

Oh she's blue so our daughter christened her Elsa.

Speak soon.

Chris

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Hi Chris and welcome.
Good strong engine that petrol 2.5. The only drawback being the range, as you appear to have noticed. Using the water tank as an auxiliary fuel tank is a fair shout. May make washing dishes interesting though....

·
Super Moderator
5,289 Posts
Welcome to the forum mate and nice vehicle to get your hands on.
Lucky you made the jump down under, something we wish we had done now. I even had an easy in with work and wife would have scored enough points with her qualifications. However we have left it to late now So maybe one day we will just have to settle with a long term holiday

·
Registered
7,972 Posts
Hi Chris , congrats on buying the new bus and welcome to this place.
Like Pothole we also thought about moving to Oz but left it too late :cry: Me and the missus were talking just yesterday about coming over again and this time hiring a camper to do it in .😎
Anyways get some pics up of your new toy so we can have a nosey 👍.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, re Oz- the grass is always greener, or on fire...or brown because of the drought.... or under flood water....

it’s cool but there is plenty to miss about Blighty. If any of you come out avoid the Summer time- would be hell in a van, Australian Autumn is perhaps the best weather imaginable anywhere! I speak from NSW (different states have different climates)...

more to come when we get some weekends away...

·
Registered
7,972 Posts
Looks a nice motor , like the colour too 😎 .
Yeah good advice re-climate , have done Cairns and Daintree in rainy season 🙃.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hi, Chris, lovely part of the world you got there.
My father in law lives a few miles up the coast in Byron Bay (lennox head to be exact)
He’s going through a mid life crisis, found himself an Aussie girlfriend twenty years younger than himself and now lives out there.
We spent four weeks over there about three years ago and absolutely loved it, accommodation 30 meters from seven mile beach, kids on the beach early morning in their pyjamas playing, it was heaven. Went in July so a nice cooler temperature.

We also spent many years talking about making the move, my wife is highly qualified in her field so quite confident we could have got in but unfortunately age is against us now,

I’ve just realised how jealous I am 😂😂

·
Registered
5 Posts
Chris welcome..im happy to also have my fellow newbie in the house... let's try our best to learn and contribute to this great forum as much as we can...cheer!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All,

Not sure whether there were any first post rules but it's prob best practice to say hi anyway. Chris originally from a T25 (T3 for the Antipodeans) in Devon England, now living in Central Coast NSW, Australia.

Just bought a 94 2.5 Petrol Manual T4 out here to enjoy long weekends away with wife, 2 kids and a greyhound. Still waiting on a necessary crab bar before we can do overnights but took it down the beach along with the car yesterday during a break in the rain to have bacon rolls and coffee overlooking the surf. The van is a discoverer conversion with poptop, captains chairs, integrated water tank (which i originally was intending to fill with petrol) the usual electrics, sink and fridge, grill and 2 burner, and shower out back. Also has wrap around wind out awning.

Been out in Oz for 7 years now, and i originally thought the dog could sleep in the awning but then started thinking about beasties and it not being completely enclosed from ground up (like a tent), turns out he's claimed the drivers seat now anyway. He is horse sized but somehow enjoys curling up on the thing. So be ready for future posts about a family of four and a horse in a T4!

Oh she's blue so our daughter christened her Elsa.

Speak soon.

Chris
Hi Chris,
Hello from the other side of the country (Perth W.A)
You have prompted me to at last post something. I have a '97 t4 Syncro camper that I bought a year ago from the original owner in Sydney with 100,000km on it.
I read the forum with a lot of interest as apart from being in opposite hemisphere to the majority of posts, we also have the opposite of concerns.
While they are discussing heaters I'm trying to get my AC to run cooler! While the discussion is about lowering I'm trying to get the best suspension / tyre combo to give more Height !
Cheers, Neil

Attachments

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
Welcome Chris (y) Take a look into swamper campers as they're fitted with a raised suspension and proper off roading wheel set up. Sounds perfect for what you're trying to achieve. You'll have to check with the suppliers if the kit is available for your T4 though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Neil,
That’s what I have to tell all my European friends and family who all imagine Australia to be heaven on Earth all year round. In the Uk winter the people stay inside to escape the rain during Winter, Summer out here is all staying inside close to aircon escaping heat and humidity and a constant battle getting kids to keep sun hats on! We have zero plans to go camping during the Summer :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts