VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, my partner is hoping to finally live a dream of owning a vw T4, (it's close to happening!) and we also have on the dream list a Europe trip to Betcesgarten, Germany, just wondered if any one has done it and can recommend routes, stop off, places of interest etc
Thanks
Lois

·
Registered
97 Posts
not been to Berchtesgarten but just returned 3k miles.Nice route if you have time is to come thro to SW germany to Trier/Eifel region, petrol cheapest in Europe in Luxembourg...Trier very interesting, lots of Roman ruins .... some other threads around about German/Austria sagas.

·
Registered
907 Posts
YES! Been twice, staying at Camping Allweglehen just outside Berchtesgaden. Brilliant site with all facilities and they accept ACSI discount card out of high season. Search Google for their website.
Meanwhile, here's a piccie showing our van there last year - just to whet your appetite :). Mountain in distance is the Watzmann.
Have fun.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Not been in van but spent a week there a couple of years ago. Great place to visit. Can't help with camp sites but go to the Saltzbergwerk (a salt mine) on the outskirts of the town and for a boat trip on Koningsee. I'm sure you will enjoy.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Not Berchtesgaden specifically, but I'm recently back from a 2-week road trip to the Bavarian Alps. Didn't book any sites in advance as we wanted the freedom of the road. Even though it was the school holidays we always got onto the site we wanted, but I'd recommend arriving mid-afternoon to be on the safe side. Gathered ideas using this site: http://www.eurocampings.co.uk/ and put their apps (one for bigger sites, one for smaller ones) on my phone. Worked a treat: highly recommended.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
have road maps now! Which ferry terminal did you go from and too. I am thinking Hull to Brugge and then down through Brussels to Luxembourg and Munich

·
Registered
907 Posts
OK - let's have the spelling right. It's BERCHTESGADEN.

Now that's out of the way, I can give you some info.

DFDS Dover/Dunkirk always seems to be cheapest, but a long drive from N. Yorks. Crossing is about 1-1/2 hours.
We've also used Harwich/Hook of Holland overnight - get a fresh start in the morning. N. Yorks to Harwich is about 4 hours.

If you use either of these, go via Luxemburg for cheapest fuel in W. Europe. Definitely miss out Brussels - traffic is chaotic at all times - use Liege route. then into Germany. Use Autobahn to Munich, then go a little further south and find the Deutsche Alpenstrasse if you want a scenic route to Berchtesgaden - well worth it (it's marked on any decent map).

A visit to the Salzbergwerk salt mine near Allweglehen site is also a must. Perhaps I ought to mention that the site's below Hitler's 'Eagle's Nest' mountain retreat, visible from your pitch(!) - you can visit it, but only by coach from town.

Glad the previous picture worked for you - you're not the first. Here's another from Allweglehen.

Have great trip - I'm envious - and post us some pics on here T:.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Being forum illiterate - as this is the first ever one I have joined! How do I correct the spelling in the title of the thread?
Thank you for that info has really helped. I have family in Kent and so we figured Yorkshire to Kent see the family. Thanks for the tips, Eagle's nest is on the to do list and the scenery looks breath taking.
Hopefully partner will be proud owner of T4 tomorrow and then the fun of fitting it out and travelling can begin. Thanks for all your replies and tips everyone, got a much clearer idea now.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Glad to be of help.

Whereabouts in N. Yorks are you? I'm in Upper Wharfedale - if you're in easy reach give me a shout: a natter (about T4s of course) and a pint are always welcome, plus more advice on travelling round Europe (and Bavaria in particular - been going there for years) but don't tell everyone about it or it will become too popular!
There's a VW van-meet each year in June at Kochel am See - we went last year - which is a great weekend. See my posting on this at http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=328578.

Best tip I can give you at the moment is to get an ACSI card for out of season discounts at campsites all over Europe. Go to http://www.campingcard.co.uk/gb/en/about-campingcard-acsi/how-it-works/uc33-l2-n648.2248/.
Alan Rogers Camping Cheques works in a similar fashion. See http://www.campingcheque.co.uk/camping-cheques_10.php
We use both and have saved LOTS of money over the years.

Get back to me for more info or a get-together.

To edit your posts, go to 'Edit' button at bottom of the required post (it's beside the 'Quote' button). Make the changes, then re-post.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just for info, the tunnel in our van was the same price as our car...... took half hour!! Brilliant, I thing we only paid £60 each way.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The lake under the eagles nest is a good boat trip, great fish restaurant and woodland walks at the south end. Go in the winter and you hear the bob sleigh track rumbling in the back ground at the north end of the lake.

August in Bavaria can be unusually quiet as the locals all go to North Italy. It was quiet this year just because the weather has been rotten, can't remember the last time we had a blue sky. Been snowed on every month of the year so far!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone, partner now has T4 and is on with conversion, so will definitely post pics when we eventually get on our trip :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts