VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to doing the relay mod on my high beam - so both are now driven through relays (similar system to Upspex kit but a bit more DIY in appearance lol)

I also ran a separate common directly back to the battery using double rated wire to handle the increased current... so everything is in place to run Hi & Low together - just need to link from the Hi trigger to the Low relay with a diode - but should I?:D

The head lights are the standard VW glass short nose ones - can't see them melting any time soon.I:
The bulbs are just standard 55/60 ones - not high pressure high output ones so hopefully they'll be a stronger.

I think it should be okay, sure the bulbs will get hotter and it might shorten their life a little but I can't see it causing any harm or making the bulbs pop - can you?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
The worst case scenario is that the extra head takes the headlight glass past its thermal shock tolerance and it could crack in cold weather or under extream changes in heat (being splashed for example).
Thats worst case though. Apart from that, like you say, shorter bulb lifespan is likely. Possible risk of a power cable fire due to increased loading, but you say you have increased its thickness to take the current.

I have certainly thought about it, and if i could bring myself to spend the money on double projector headlights i may do it, but for the moment i cant be bothered to change the wiring at the possible expense of a bunch of bulbs or a headlight.

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,733 Posts
My bulbs lasted an average of 3 weeks when I did the dual filament mod.
Never broke any units, just the bulbs went black, then pop.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My bulbs lasted an average of 3 weeks when I did the dual filament mod.
Never broke any units, just the bulbs went black, then pop.
Hmm, not so encouraging... How many hours of use do you estimate that was?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bugger! - it's not sounding good. I don't care about bulbs going but headlight damage isn't on my list.
I do small mileage a year, most of which is daylight anyway, and the part that is night I'm mostly on normal roads so don't use high that often anyway - but when I do I need the POWA!
But I just don't like the clunky way the low switches off as the high comes on - it's so yesterday.:D

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, will leave it as it is.
I'm looking forward to seeing how much brighter the high beam is now anyway, as it was still on the vans' standard wiring previously.:ILU:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts