VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've been trawling the forums recently and gathering information from you knowledgeable folk. There's some real knowledge throughout this forum.

I'm looking to purchase a T5 panel van to convert as a camper at my leisure (not currently an owner :( )

I'm still a bit unsure of the T28 through to T32 meaning... Does this indicate the vehicle weight as it stands empty OR does it indicate the total weight including load?

Being a camper conversion I'm looking for the lightest model (if there is one) as I'm hearing different stories regarding the sluggishness of the 1.9 TDI. I understand that they can be remapped but surely they are'nt that sluggisg are they?
Will a 1.9 be man enough to base my camper conversion on?

I'm coming from a Subaru Impreza and a Mazda RX8 so I know I will feel a big drop in performance but it's a totally different experience I'm after. I'm not delusional!!! At least with running cars with such low profile tyres I'll be aware of the British roads if I decide to throw 20's on the T5, which is inevitable:)

I'm not looking for a van that flies. I just want practical with enough go that I'm not holding every other road user up.
The van will be my daily drive to the office and back and is to be our "get up and go exploring further afield than we already do" mobil.

Also just like to say that there are some amazing T5's AND T4's throughout the forum, a real inspiration.

Appreciate any help, thanks.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
T28 to t32 relates to carying capacity which results in heavier suspension and bigger brakes on the 32 probably some other bits too a t28 is more than enough van for a conversion but generally has a few bits missing like air con ekectric windows and a temp guage the 1.9 can generally be boosted from standard to around 140bhp as both the 84 and 104 are the same engine just factory mapped different i have a t28 1.9 that eats scoobys as im pushing 245dobbins so dont be put off by people sayin a 19 is sluggish plus theybhalf the cost to tax than a 2.5

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi the numbers do indicate gross weight so loaded,
Not sure about the 1.9 as never driven one but my 2.5 goes like a rocket.
I am sure someone else will know. T:

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Hi fella and welcome to the forum. The T28 etc relates to the maximum gross weight of the vehicle, ie. a T28 can have a maximum gross weight of 2800Kg. Therefore if the empty van weighed 1900Kg, you have a payload of 900Kg.

As for motors, the 1.9 came in an 84ps and a 104ps I think. Both can be remapped to about 140ps easily but the main drawback of the 1.9 over the 2.5 is the 5 speed gearbox. The 2.5 came with a 6 speed box which cuts the engine revs down at any given speed. The 2.5 in 6th at 70 mph will only be doing about 2000rpm whereas the 1.9 in 5th will be doing about 2500rpm. If you are likely to do lots of motorway miles, the 2.5 with 6 speed box will come into its own but the 5 speed 1.9 would be ok otherwise.

I'm no expert and the performance figures and rpm's maybe a little out but you get the gist of it. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the prompt replies.

Just the info I was after. I wasn't aware that the T28's were never given the electric pack. A/C doesn't really bother me to be fair.

May have to look at the T30 then for the electrics. All other gadgetry can be added to my personal taste.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Thanks for the prompt replies.

Just the info I was after. I wasn't aware that the T28's were never given the electric pack. A/C doesn't really bother me to be fair.

May have to look at the T30 then for the electrics. All other gadgetry can be added to my personal taste.
Pretty sure thats not true... sure they can all have the electric pack!

Oh and mine is a 1.9tdi 85hp mapped to 120hp and goes like a train, even with a full pop top conversion!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yep, my fully converted 1.9 was a 102 so remapped to 130. Goes really well! Taken 1.9 all over France, thousands of miles and no probs.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Right my minds pretty well made up. Deffo looking to buy a 1.9TDi either a T5 or T5.1. Need to find some local to test drive really, as I've never driven one. Although reviews are good for the handling!

Thanks for your help

·
Previously; Stoo
3,271 Posts
Right my minds pretty well made up. Deffo looking to buy a 1.9TDi either a T5 or T5.1. Need to find some local to test drive really, as I've never driven one. Although reviews are good for the handling!

Thanks for your help

The T5.1 comes in 2.0 guise only. With 84bhp, 102bhp, 140bhp and 180bhp.
The older T5 came with 1.9tdi - slow as, steer clear in my view. Cousin had one
Or 2.5tdi 130bhp or 174bhp

If i was you i would search out a T5.1 140bhp. The best all rounder in my experience:ILU:

·
Registered
4,875 Posts

Thanks for your help
If you get the 2.0 t5.1 102 it comes with electric pack but it is only 5 speed, ours is remapped to 164 and drives like a car......T:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts