VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been working on our new van as a complete newbie for a little over a week now, on and off.
Must admit, when I first saw the inside of van, I thought the carpetting was a common sense way of keeping the noise out, warmth in and taking the bareness off the bare painted chassis.
When I really started to look at the rain leaking in I found..

As you can see, whoever converted the van has gone a little crazy with the carpet preventing parts of the van which are supposed to close bare painted steel to rubber seal as carpet on rubber and this van is proof, it doesn't keep the van watertight.
This a problem on the rear two doors too - took the carpet off and hey presto! no more door leaks!
I do have the issue now, where I have to remove every last scrap of evo-stick so the sealing face is presentable again but that is a different matter.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
ve to admit i dont like to see paintwork in the camper , i have carpeted everything , but its 2 tone grey/camel so doesnt look over the top . for the sliding door i got hold of a caravelle panel and window surround that stops at the right point to keep the door seals . im am now after a set of plastics for my rear barn doors , but they seem to be like hens teeth !

·
Registered
365 Posts
Have been working on our new van as a complete newbie for a little over a week now, on and off.
Must admit, when I first saw the inside of van, I thought the carpetting was a common sense way of keeping the noise out, warmth in and taking the bareness off the bare painted chassis.
When I really started to look at the rain leaking in I found..

As you can see, whoever converted the van has gone a little crazy with the carpet preventing parts of the van which are supposed to close bare painted steel to rubber seal as carpet on rubber and this van is proof, it doesn't keep the van watertight.
This a problem on the rear two doors too - took the carpet off and hey presto! no more door leaks!
I do have the issue now, where I have to remove every last scrap of evo-stick so the sealing face is presentable again but that is a different matter.
try wd40 on the glue

·
Registered
713 Posts
ve to admit i dont like to see paintwork in the camper , i have carpeted everything , but its 2 tone grey/camel so doesnt look over the top . for the sliding door i got hold of a caravelle panel and window surround that stops at the right point to keep the door seals . im am now after a set of plastics for my rear barn doors , but they seem to be like hens teeth !
http://www.ebay.de/itm/VW-T4-Verkleidungen-Flugelturen-links-rechts-oben-uns-nur-159-99-/320797573591?pt=DE_Autoteile&hash=item4ab10681d7#ht_3886wt_917

http://www.ebay.de/itm/VW-T4-Verkleidung-Heckklappe-innere-Abdeckung-Fensterteil-Heckklappe-/190600464574?pt=DE_Autoteile&hash=item2c60ac48be#ht_500wt_932

http://www.ebay.de/itm/VW-T4-Verkleidung-Heckklappe-oben-MVII-708-uns-nur-37-99-Euro-/221017334877?pt=DE_Autoteile&hash=item3375a8e45d#ht_3768wt_917

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
try wd40 on the glue
Tried WD40, a couple of serious solvents we use at work, white spirit but the only thing which seems to be working is B&Q's Nitromors substitute.
I was wary about damaging the underlying paintwork at first but it seems to be ok.
The problem is, part of the reason they have gone so far is some minor damage on the inside of the door - scratches etc which become apparent when the glue is stripped away.
The next question is, do i carefully brush paint the inside face of the door to make it presentable (the van has 180,000 miles on the clock, is 19 years old and bought to be a working camper rather than a showpiece) or do I take the time to sand it, mask it all off and spray it...

·
Registered
31 Posts
their should be an extra seal that runs above the other seal and diverts the water away. it fits on the underside of the roof lip with double sided tape and is v shaped from what i can remember without going to the lockup.
i only know cos my van is ing in as i aint had chance to refit it since spraying the van (i dont have the door carpeted).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts