VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Problem with the high beam on my converted T5.1. The nearside high beam is always on and so is the dash warning light for high beam. I pulled the fuse for this lamp which sorted one problem out so now the dash high beam warning light only comes on when I flick the stalk but as the fuse is out only the the offside high beam comes on. However even with the fuse out the nearside high beam is still on when the headlights are on! So to sort this out I pulled the high beam feed wire (white) off the back of the headlight bulb so now only dipped beam works on the nearside (which isn't a big problem until the MOT). With the high beam feed not connected and the fuse in, the high beam warning light stays on. I thought that this might be related to the headlights being removed for a recent respray but the main connector to headlights seems ok and when tested with a multimeter the pin which feeds the high beam is live when the headlights are on.
The stalk also appears to be working fine as the dipped beam and high beam work fine for the offside headlight.
This has me stumped but before I send it off for an auto-electrician to figure it out wondered if any of you guys would have a clue.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I seem to think that there are separate fuses for L/H & R/H headlights so this might be the reason that just pulling one fuse has not stopped both high beams working. You need to check your fuses to be sure exactly which ones are high beam, low beam, L/H & R/H.
The dip beam stalk can be problematic, but I think most issues with the headlights are caused by the actual light switch itself. This switch has multiple contacts & they carry the full load of all the lighting circuits & it's not uncommon to find certain pairs of contacts welded together.
Ideally, if you could swop your headlight switch for a known good one that would help narrow down the source of your issue.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
This is the light switch from a 2005 T5, just to give you an idea what it looks like inside. I'm guessing later T5.1's & T6's will be much the same.

DSCN1568.JPG

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info. The wiring diagram only shows one feed from the switch to the headlights so presume somewhere the feed splits and goes to each headlight separately. I'll have a look at the switch. I wasn't sure this would be where the fault is, as only the nearside light is affected.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts