VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

The high level brake light lens on our T5GP tailgate has cracked, and half of it has fallen out. No idea how it happened, but it needs replacing.

Where is the best place to pick one up, Dealers, TPS, independent???

Could someone with Elsawin be so kind as to dig out a part number for me, please. Only the lens, not the whole unit.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Like abingdonboy says, you can't buy the lens only, gotta be the whole light.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Does anyone have a problem with the high level brake light lens falling out? Every so often, when I shut the tailgate the red lens falls out. There is nothing broken about it, it just falls out. The van is only 7 months old. I suppose a small dab of mastic would keep it in place, while still allowing it to be removed to change the bulb, but I didn't have this problem on my 2 previous T5s.

Anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Does anyone have a problem with the high level brake light lens falling out? Every so often, when I shut the tailgate the red lens falls out. There is nothing broken about it, it just falls out. The van is only 7 months old. I suppose a small dab of mastic would keep it in place, while still allowing it to be removed to change the bulb, but I didn't have this problem on my 2 previous T5s.

Anyone else had this problem?
The high level brake light is one unit. It can not be parted. You have to remove the screws from the inside to change bulbs.

Therefore I suggest that you make a trip to the dealer and get a replacement under warranty.

There is a known fault with these: The gasket fails, and vanishes... Leaving a lot of room for water to enter the rear door. From the door the water runs into the floor, and the entire floor gets wet.

You need to remove the trim on the top inside of the door, loosen 3 torx T15/20 and lift the light out on the outside. Disconnect the cables, and replace the light. OR, if the gasket is the only thing wrong, you can make a silicone gasket by placing a "worm" of silicone around the light. The original gasket is 3 mm in diameter, and goes all the way around the light.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Mines a barn door van , I had to replace both of mine I caught the lens corner with the shammy and crack , broke, swear word, stamp of feet, then trip done to tps for replacement.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Around about £14 from TPS. I also had to buy the new wiring with spades and a new connector block as the previous owner went to town on this ?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Around about £14 from TPS. I also had to buy the new wiring with spades and a new connector block as the previous owner went to town on this ?
I do t suppose you know the part number for the spades? Our local TPS supplied us the connector housings but can't find the spades...

Cheers.

·
Registered
634 Posts
The high level light is subject to a recall from VW due to it falling out. Give your dealer a call you should get it replaced for free

·
Registered
378 Posts
The high level light is subject to a recall from VW due to it falling out. Give your dealer a call you should get it replaced for free
Hi

I am extremely interested in following this up, as I have experienced all the symptoms described here. In addition, when we were camping in the rain in Scotland a few months ago, we had drips falling on our heads/pillows and tracked them down to a loose, gasketless high level brake light, which I haven't figured out yet how to fix in a serviceable manner.

I envisage having to have a tough negotiation with our local Oxford VW dealer, so any pointers to anything that suggests this to be a recall fix would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Roger

·
Registered
336 Posts
It's not a recall as such - they aren't calling in vehicles to rectify rather a field service repair or whatever VW call them.

When the dealer sees the van they'll do it (assuming they're checking for correctly!). I didn't know mine was being done until the service was complete and they told me.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
This has been an issue for a long time. The problem stems from the screws being over tightened in the factory therefore fracturing the plastic lens. I went through x2 sets before I found the issue on this very forum. I am now in my fourth year on my third set and no issues. The trick is use spring washers and only carefully tighten until they close up. T:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts