VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a problem with my T5.1 whereby if I put it in reverse I get a high pitch beeeeeep immediately.
Although I have parking sensors it is not the same pitch of beep, plus it is continuous.
If I take it out of reverse and then put it back in then the problem does not seem to recur.
Any ideas please? Makes me jump every time! Thanks.

·
Registered
8,230 Posts
Do your rear parking sensors work ?
Could it be a reverse sounder that someone has fitted to warm pedestrians when youre reversing.
They do some that are combined into bulbs .

·
Special Rapporteur
8,750 Posts
The factory parking sensor system is designed to give a long tone immediately you select reverse if there is a fault in the system. Typically (but not always) this is due to one or more faulty sensors - the system is designed such that it won't function if any faulty sensors are detected.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies, that does seem to be the case. Any idea what the fault is most likely to be? Do I have to replace one or all of the sensors, and likely cost?

·
Premium Member
4,673 Posts
Thanks for your replies, that does seem to be the case. Any idea what the fault is most likely to be? Do I have to replace one or all of the sensors, and likely cost?
Pop it in reverse, and put your ear up to each sensor, it should emit a quiet clicking noise, if one does not then generally it’s faulty

Or het it plugged into VCDS to check for faults

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have found the faulty sensor (middle near side).
Do you have to remove the bumper to take out the sensor?
If not do I pull in, or push out the back?
Would anyone recommend cheaper ebay over genuine VW?
thanks!

·
Special Rapporteur
8,750 Posts
There are clips moulded onto the rear of the bumper inserts, so you gently splay the clips out and then the sensor pushes backwards. Generally the problem is that road dust/grit gets between the sensor and the bumper insert, so they can be quite hard to shift initially.

All of the replacements that I've done (3 of them) were with cheap ones from Ebay - they have worked fine, three years on. The only one that didn't was because the wiring had been damaged when the towbar was fitted - I probably didn't need to change that one, but once the wiring & plug had been replaced it worked Ok.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts