VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There, At the end of this may and the begining of june, My wife, myself and dog will be doing a trip to scotland, we want to go up to the highlands and would love to take time out to go as remote as possible, to take in the scenery and wildlife. We were wondering if anyone could suggest some places to stay and visit, we have heard there are quite a few ferries to go over to different isles,but we don't know which ones to go to. Ideally, somewhere with coastal views and camping. We decided not to tow the caravan and to travel only with the t4 as we think we will be able to accsess more remoter places travelling lighter,So if anyone has any ideas, they would be most appreciated, Many Thanks Mark & Mandy.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Hi,Get up to oban and jump on the ferry to Tiree , around 4 hours sailing from oban, we went 2 years ago to wind surf and cycle, going back this july 16th cant wait,plenty Minted beaches good luck,T:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Bingsway, Do you know the ferry operater , would like to find the costs of these ferries etc before we leave. Will be takeing my ocean kyack, would be nice to find some seals etc.Thanks for your input, will post u some pics if we make it there, Cheers, Mark.:ILU:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Try...(in no particular order) Aran, Mull (from Oban)...particularly if you've got kids and they like Balamory, Skye is a must and try outer Hebrides Harris and Lewis which are accessible from a ferry port on Skye called Uig. Never been to Tiree but sounds great. The ferry operator up there is Caledonian Macbrayne (CalMac)....have fun:ILU:

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
all going to plan and my van is ready im going to west coat at start of march

leaving from fife heading to oban , isle of barra , south and north uist, skye , stornoway , ullapool and down to applecross
5 ferrys in total but should be well worth the hard work

caladonian macbrayne ferries operate these isles and well worth the look

·
Registered
54 Posts
Caledonian MacBrayne do an island hopper ticket which pre books all the ferries you plan to take. As far as I know you don't actually have to travel on the ones you've booked if you arrive earlier and there are spaces. 2010 we did oban to barra and then ferries all the way up to stornaway for return to ullapool. Islanders are getting to the point where the number of camper vans are starting to be a pain in the summer; they get particularly fed up about parking in passing places on the island roads. If you find a decent spot off the road however you will be left alone. Most islands now have a scheme where crofters will designate a field for you for minimum payment. There are a number of really good sports centres on the outer hebrides now and they will let you shower for about a pound. Get a list off the web before you go.
Barra is great, and Harris is amazing - like a moonscape - "The Lie of the Land - an under the field guide to the British Isles" by Ian Vince gives entertaining layman's info on the geology of the north west (not as boring as it sounds).
Hope this helps. Simon

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers all, just had a quick peep at all your posts,Just got in from work and not got much time today to pm u all, working 12hour shifts + 2hrs traveling each day, not too bad tho, work 4 on then 4 off so can't complain. Just had a quick look on the ferry website,Looking good, cant wait to spend an hour or so on it doing all the planning, should be good fun, thanks all, will get back to u all when i get more time, Regards Mark. :ILU:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Would recommend a site called resipole farm on the ardnamurchan peninsula, west coast. Right on the shore of a sea loch and a good stop on the way to Mallaig, where you would get the ferry to Skye.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Anywhere on the west coast is just excellent - the islands are magical - all I'd ask, and I'm sure you will, is to leave the place as you found it. Since the Scottish Government subsidised ferry travel to the Outer Hebrides there's been some bother with wild campers leaving their cr#p behind and emptying their chemical loos on wild machair - the locals just ain't happy!

Enjoy!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts