VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share this one as it was pretty easy to do. I fitted a c channel awning rail to my hilo roof yesterday. I thought a lot about getting a Reimo or Vamoose rail but decided in the end that this option had a point of return if I changed my mind, which the multi rail doesn't. It's also subsantially cheaper so if I decide it's garbage then I've spent £25 instead of £180. There's also a thought about keeping the van looking stealthy an non-camper like which is a selling point of the hilo to some people.

With the hilo roof you have no gutter, as such, to use so you have more limited options than you might otherwise. The roof has a frame around the canvas which is topped with plastic and is galvanised steel underneath (I'm led to believe), so drilling or riveting is an option but you have to be very careful as there's not much space underneath it and there are wires tucked away. I decided to just bond it with generous amounts of adhesive and see what happened. I did it yesterday and checked it today and it seems pretty good. I haven't used it yet but I slid the kador in and had a swing on it wthout any issue. I'll be trying it out properly at the weekend so we'll see what it's like with a Vango Galli hanging off it.

For anyone wanting to do the same, I bought a C channel rail with flange from a local caravan shop and just used some adhesive I already had which is similar to Sikaflex etc. I cut it down until it didn't touch the outer roof skin when the roof was down and I ended up lining up with the inside front corner (where the canvas starts) all the way back to directly beneath the centre pivot in the hinge when the roof is elevated. At the back, the frame wasn't dead flat so the rail has lifted a little however it should be fine. You could always cut it a bit shorter if need be.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, sorry for the delay I've been away on holiday. I actually popped the roof today to give everything the once over before our first trip this year. The rail is still in tact, it doesn't look to have degraded at all. It worked perfectly when I used it it last year, got a few trips out of it at about 3 days each time. I did attach a pic or 2 but it has disappeared since the post. Uploaded again here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts