VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already have the ticking vacuum pump, which i sm hoping to sort soon, but it's developed a hissing from the pedal box.

Am i right to assume excessive pressure vents there and this is related to the ticking elsewhere?!

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
399 Posts
It maybe the vacuum seal around the pushrod leaking. I would worry if my brake pedal was getting spongier. i.e. servo failing. I have the famous ticking you speak of!:(

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brakes seem fine and the hissing has kinda peaked and can sometimes be stopped with a gentle left foot tap on the pedal!

I'm going to have to sort it as well as the ticking as it's bloody annoying!

·
Registered
399 Posts
The hissing noise plays on you if you listen for it!! I had it on my old van, I'll have a listen out 2mrw on my current one. The ticking drives me mad but I'm not convinced that after spending out the cash repairing it,it will last. Its a common fault. Did i read somewhere on the old forum that it disappeared for one guy after an oil change?? If so I'm wondering if it could be connected to oil grade:confused::confused:. I run 10/40 semi synthetic. The tapping is definitely worse after a high speed run. The oil would be thinner then...probably nonsense but I await a voice of more experience with the prob!!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Had a good listen today. plenty of tick but no hiss!! Theres another thread running on fixing the vacuum pushrod so I'm hoping for a post from someone who's done the job before. I'll only do mine if its going to lead to a bigger problem if left. Going back to your original post I'm racking my brain trying to think if I've come across any kind of pressure relief valve. Dont think so.:dunno:

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One of my mates is a VW technician and i'll try and rack his brains some more about the hissing!

The ticking was covered quite well on the old forum and i'll try and dig it out if the other new post isn't frutiful!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I also had this ticking noise last year. It lasted for around 6 months, and as Herman said it was worse after a hard run.
It has gone away now by itself, so i woulnt advise throwing money on new parts, give it a bit of time and try changing the oil/filter. I did change my oil to the expensive VW "PD" oil however, but cant really see how this can stop a ticking noise?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had this problem for a long time!

Initially my pedal box clutch plate snapped on the morning of Christmas eve last year, I had a long drive to do on Boxing day to my g/f's house so I took it to a garage near my parents and the guy there welded the plate with 2 strong supports into place in situe. At the time I was very greatful and gave him a good christmas drink as it got me out of a sticky situation!

Driving down south on Boxing day, I started to hear the 'hissing noise' coming from the pedal, and ignored it using the stereo :)

After checking on the previous forum I found the seal for the servo had probably been melted by the situe welding. Lots of other people had the problem aswell and it didn't seem so urgent.

I managed to get my replacement brake servo from ebay for £91 inc delivery, from the stealership they are £325 +VAT :S

Mine survived for 10 months before I noticed any kind of issue with breaking, and even then the brakes were fine, just the odd occasional lack of pressure.

Hope that helps

//t0m

(first post on the new awesome forum software nice work guys! :ILU:)

·
Registered
402 Posts
i also have the hissing brake pedal...the ticking....the lumpy cold starting...and my current favourite...the intermittent gurgle/rattle since having my timing belts and water pump changed...hoping its an airlockI:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts