VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really need help please! Sorry, I am green as they come and very new to all this so please go steady on me!

I just bought a t4 1.9td and am so excited to get on a get out in it! I drove it around a short distance having had it a couple of days and started to notice what can only be described as a hissing noise coming from the passenger seat foot well towards the front and engine bay. The noise only appears when the engine is running and sounds like someone is letting a tyre down or something - and yes before you ask it is not my tyre going down or at least I don't think it is!?! i can hear it above the general running noises when driving and wondered whether any of you god folk had heard of anything similar or had any ideas of things I could check out before having to spend money I don't have seeking 'professional' advice! I don't want to take it to a garage unless absolutely necessary because I am a bit naive (as I am sure you have gathered by now!) and fear they could rip me off and I really can't afford that!

Many thanks in advance!

Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place too!

I can't promise to be of much help to people technically on here but I do take a pretty decent photo (used to be a photographer) so if anyone locally or that I ever meet on the road wants some tasty pics of their van for whatever reason then I would be only too happy to help and feel like I was contributing in some way!

Cheers,

Marcus

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
*Update, tried to start the van today to see if I could see anything obvious and she wouldn't start having not been a problem before although I have been using the cold start to help her along as the previous owner rarely used it. I can't help thinking therefore that the 'hissing' sound and now the 'non starter' are related.

As I said any help from any of your great minds would be very much appreciated!

Cheers,

Marcus

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
*Update, tried to start the van today to see if I could see anything obvious and she wouldn't start having not been a problem before although I have been using the cold start to help her along as the previous owner rarely used it. I can't help thinking therefore that the 'hissing' sound and now the 'non starter' are related? :*:confused:

As I said any help from any of your great minds would be very much appreciated!

Cheers,

Marcus

·
Registered
381 Posts
Check the following...

All vacuum hoses are connected and have no splits
Turbo pipe work is all connected properly, no splits.loose connections
Check main exhaust down pipe for cracks/corrosion
remove snake from passengers footwell ;)

do not use easy start! it's said that engines get addicted to this! this is the kind of stuff that was used on very old diesel engines, old dumper trucks and plant equipment etc, engines that didn't have glowplugs etc
This stuff just hides a starting issue that needs to be sorted out. The 1.9TD isn't the fastest but she's pretty reliable and should start on the button. for starting issues 1st check the glow plugs are working correctly and then look at fueling, pump timing, etc etc. A slow but steady process of elimination will sort your starting problem and maybe if they are connected the hissing noise as well.

Also check your oil - level correct and no milky crud in the top of the engine or oily crud in the water bottle

Good luck

:ILU:

·
Registered
381 Posts
just to add from my previous post, if you are not much of a mechanic and are not very handy with the spanners just carefully look at the obvious stuff, if you can't see anything wrong then see if you can find a mobile mechanic to come out and have a look for you, they might be able to fix it for you and get you back on the road

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks very much vanofdoom! There are plenty of things for me to think about and check up on now which should keep me busy! Your help and time are very much appreciated, so thanks again! Simple advice in plain English and sound logic, that's what us newbies need!

Cheers

Marcus

·
Registered
381 Posts
Just be careful when looking for the snake! - try a dead mouse on the end of a string, a bit like a fishing rod and see if that will tempt him out!! he's probably under the passengers seat!! LOL:

Let me know what you find

happy hunting!

·
Registered
73 Posts
"do not use easy start! it's said that engines get addicted to this! this is the kind of stuff that was used on very old diesel engines, old dumper trucks and plant equipment etc, engines that didn't have glowplugs etc"

Is he not referring to the cold start lever?...easy start has got me out of a fix once when mine wouldn't start (-20c) but yeah i wouldn't use it all the time.

Last hissing noise I had was the brake servo but thats not the passenger side.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Have you been using the farmers deodorant since you bought it, if so there is a problem with the condition of the engine. We only used it when compression was very low so is the noise coming from the header tank, this could be a headgasket failure. You need to do a compression check first to see why you need the easy start plus if to much has been put in the can bend rods when it eventually starts and knocks like hellI:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I have found a friend of a friend who knows what he is talking about and he has agreed to take a look for me. I have made a note of what you guys have mentioned and will take that with me too.

I was referring to the cold start lever not the magical gas in a can which I had read on here was only a last resort type of thing and not to be used regularly for fear that the engine can rely on it almost and that it can do lasting damage etc etc. Use on old vehicles without glow plugs or something? This will be a steep learning curve for me but I like a bit of a challenge.

I do have one more question though, which end of the string should I tie the mouse to? :*

Really appreciate everyone taking time and effort to try to help!

Many thanks,

Marcus T:

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
i had a whinng noise coming from my front seat then i got my cam belts and all the other jobs done on the van and SHE dont dont whine any more I:I:

·
Registered
381 Posts
LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:

Love it!! I've just wet myself laughing!! hey, if you wanna catch a snake then it's gotta be worth a try!?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts