VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:* Gutted. I'd stopped in a gap between parked cars to give way, when the removal truck coming the other way decided to make more space for himself :( After ripping mirror off,smashing drivers window and scraping the bodywork the truck drove off! leaving me covered in glass and kind of shocked! Didn't manage to get the plate,only the name on the side,but so far not heard anything from the police.Van has only done 800 miles :blg

Got an 06 LDV Maxis as a courtesy vanhsy:
How do they work out wether it will be repaired or written off?

Pettsy

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
when you reported it to the police did you say you were injured? They are more likely to follow up failing to stop ata the scene of an accident if there was personal injury.

At least you are alright, and it could of been worse- it could have been a t4I:

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
Gutted mate, this type of thing gets more common by the day. Last week i rode the bike up to my local Suzuki dealer and they were not happy at all. One of the engineers rode a brand new BKing up to do the post as a pre delivery test and somebody reversed into it, over it and proceeded to drive off with no witnesses. How can people not notice they are running over something as big as this?

It doesnt pay to have anything nice these days!

Hope it gets sorted and you are ok bud!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just said i was covered in glass. Quite lucky that both me and my workmate escaped with no cuts as the cab is covered in glass on both sides. Im so annoyed with myself for not getting the registration of the van that did it, looks like it will be our insurance paying for the damage to the car it pushed me into and repair/replacement of the van.

jimmyjames: i think its more down to some people having something to hide, and the general public generally being unwilling to get invloved. My accident was on a main road but no-one stopped to help,they just drove over the glass and mirrors in the road as if nothing had happened.If i had witnessed something happen i'd definately stop just to see if theres anything i could do.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
On economic repair. As it's not been in a impact accident the panels will probably be repaired. Don't know how expensive VW parts are for panels though (plus labour and paint).
I agree, i think it will be repaired due to the age and milage of the van. The door, wing and mirror should be easy to replace and the rear quarter hasn't been pushed in so shouldn't be too hard to do for a good bodyshop to do.

Seems as though you had a lucky escape, a bit of glass in your eyes from the window and things could have been alot different.:eek:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Pettsy, I find the most annoying thing is the guilty always seem to get off scot free.

Surely your insurers can help put pressure on the police or identify the guilty party's insurers.

Me I'd take a full page advert, showing your damaged van, in the local paper asking if anyone knows of a removal company going under the name of ... But then I'd probably get the police charge me with infringing their human rights.

Best of luck.

George

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
just to update the thread, we heard last week its around £7000's worth of damage! Repair centre say they can sort it, just waiting to see wether the lease company want it repaired or replaced with a new van.

·
Premium Member
6,095 Posts
If you know the company name that did the damage, can you not get on to them, they would know who was in the area on the day etc, and there van would have marks on also. T:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Another update!

Still waiting to hear whats happening with the van re:write off or not. However, derbyshire police have found the company/vehicle involved. Apparently they spoke to my boss earlier this week and gave him all of the insurance information, so its down to the insurance company to sort it now :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thats good news that they have found who did it. My cousins a police man and he said that if somebody hits you and drives off its classed as a 'failer to stop at a road traffic incident' and they can be prosecuted if they don’t come forward within 24 hours.

Which im assuming they did not. You should push the police on this. However you need to have reported yourself with 24 hours of the incident. If you did great. I would strongly recommend you do this. Especially after all the hassle and stress it has caused you.

Hope you get it all sorted soon:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts