VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If there is anyone out there with expertise in building speakers. I have taken apart 2 Gale Gold Monitors and rebuilt boxes from 3/4" MDF to fit in my VW Transporter. I have even inserted the bass cones to the design (Sorry I should have included a photograph - could do this another day). The bass and tweeter are fixed onto the face of the speaker which is covered by a carpet trim used to the van. This is then screwed to the speaker box to close up the speakers (the carpet does wrap around the face and would not produce an air tight seal (DOES THIS MATTER?). I have used quality cables and everything is connected up as it should be.

I listened to the Gale's on my hi-fi system and they sounded pretty good (not as good as my Celestions I might add!). The boxes for the Gales were damaged so I did not mind taking them apart.

I am getting quite a lot of distortion in the bass with any reasonable volume or with any music that is bass heavy.

My care stereo is a RCD200 - I think this provides 20W per channel. The front speakers are the factory fitted ones. OK but nothing special. I expected the Gales to blow them away but are sounding distorted and fuzzy at volume.

Why are these not reproducing the same quality sound. Is it the head unit or the boxes?

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Volume is approximately the same as I was aware of the need to keep this similar.

There is no speaker fleece in there - I have not built speakers before and didn't know that there was a good reason for this in the old speaker (will this make a difference?)

I could compare both on the hi-fi wilh if I unscrew the speakers from the van - would be a good comparison. A pain to get them out as I wanted them fixed in very solid to avoid any vibration (taking the hi-fi to the van might be a better option!!).

I did not try the Gales in their original form in the head unit as I had to get a VW van dealer to re-programme the head unit to recognise the rear speakers. By that time they were already built in.

Not sure about the power of the head unit for the Gales. Not sure of the difference between the two.

Thanks for posting the questions - making me think.

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
The fleece some how makes the box seem bigger..

If the head unit has not get enough power they will not sound good.

The biggest problem people have with speakers is they see big numbers on the speakers and then wonder why they sound bad when fitted and the reason is the head unit just can't power them.( this is just a general comment).

If when you text them on the HiFi and they sound OK then it is lack of power in the head unit.

Good luck.

Oh and get some pics.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Gold monitors are a ported design, if the volume of the enclosure is different, or the port design is different then they won't react the same way. Also consider the impedance rating of them, from memory six ohms nominal, and whether the head unit is designed to cope with this. Did you retain the crossover? It makes a difference.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The impedence will be wrong. As said, the Gales will likely be 6 ohms?

Normal car speakers are 4 ohm, or 2 ohm for higher end units (which need to be driven by a higher-end amp/head unit capable of 2 Ohms).

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The crossover is in there. I didn't go for a large speaker for the very reason I knew the head unit could not drive them. I thought the Gales would be ok but I confess to not understanding the technicalities.

The only difference is the new boxes are not square. They angle at the back of the box - 45 degrees to the shape of the van towards the rear doors. Whether this could make a difference to the the projection of the sound could also be a factor.

I will run a test later and get some pictures on here later. I'm certainly happy with the way they look but that's beside the point.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
The spearker should work at 6ohms just need more power to to run it, does it distort whatever the volume that would point to a wiring fault, if only when you crank it up it could be head unit distortion. If you had 100w 4ohm head unit with 8ohm speakrs it just means you will only get 50 watts at the speaker max, so that then means to get 100w at speaker end you would neef a 200w 4ohm head unit. I think your head unit is to underpowered do you have an amp you can wire in

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have built the 2 ports into the new cabinets but they come out of the sides. I think a photo later will explain things. I will also try my hi-fi amplifier rigged up to these speakers to hear if there is any distortion (I think it is only at louder volumes).

Will keep you posted. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk
/picture.php?albumid=21288&pictureid=151413

I tested these before with my Arcam Alpha amplifier and they still distort. Not too noticeable at lower volumes but the sound is not as crisp as it should be. The bass units vibrate and 'buzz' with any mediocre volume or bass music. Maybe the boxes need tweeking.

The volume of the boxes is not the actual size that they look in the photographs as there is a small shelf built in which is at the level just above the tweeter. However taking the original Gale boxes into consideration they are perhaps larger in volume than I thought due to their triangular shape.

One thing I will try is squaring these off which will make the volume smaller and inserting some speaker fleece. Would this smaller volume produce a tighter, crisper and punchy sound?

·
Registered
11,711 Posts

I tested these before with my Arcam Alpha amplifier and they still distort. Not too noticeable at lower volumes but the sound is not as crisp as it should be. The bass units vibrate and 'buzz' with any mediocre volume or bass music. Maybe the boxes need tweeking.

The volume of the boxes is not the actual size that they look in the photographs as there is a small shelf built in which is at the level just above the tweeter. However taking the original Gale boxes into consideration they are perhaps larger in volume than I thought due to their triangular shape.

One thing I will try is squaring these off which will make the volume smaller and inserting some speaker fleece. Would this smaller volume produce a tighter, crisper and punchy sound?
Let's see if that has fixed the second image.

·
Registered
196 Posts
They look like the volume is greater than the original cabinet? If so this would lead to less damping of the bass cone at volume, which may contribute to the problem. I have a pair of these in my daughters room running on an Arcam Alpha which struggles to control them above halfway on the volume control. They are fine on Teac tripath amps. I might just be that they need a stronger amp.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Speaker enclosure padding is usually designed to make a small cabinet sound larger. ie the opposite of what you suspect the problem is. What is the impedance of the bass driver/tweeter and crossover. What impedance is the amp your are driving it with supposed to see? I suspect you 'might' have an 4 ohm amp looking at an 8 ohm speaker. However, it could me a multitude of things without looking at it in person.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Speaker enclosure padding is usually designed to make a small cabinet sound larger. ie the opposite of what you suspect the problem is. What is the impedance of the bass driver/tweeter and crossover. What impedance is the amp your are driving it with supposed to see? I suspect you 'might' have an 4 ohm amp looking at an 8 ohm speaker. However, it could me a multitude of things without looking at it in person.
if you read from the start all your questions are answer,
its run of head unit no amp speaker are rated 4-8 ohm,its either not enough power or wiring fault, can you take a video

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
i am just thinking about all the loose bits of matal that have benn added. 3 pin plug socket. 12V outlet......[/QUOTE
yep thought that to,

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I will not be changing the head unit so assuming the wiring in the boxes is good, which I'm pressure sure it is, the options are;

1. Square the boxes off and reduce the volume. Add speaker fleece.
2. Remove the carpet from around the seal of the speaker and the front cover to enclose the speakers tightly and make sure the driver unit works properly
3. Replace with 6x9 speakers higher up in the walls of the van which will project the sound better than from the floor (behind the seat)

If option 3. Anyone recommend some 6x9 speakers at a reasonable price?

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
my thoughts are this. make new enclosures that are taller, if you need the electrics make then in a seperate part of the box. make the same part on the other side for stuff, so keeping the volume the same. make boxes fully sealed so no lid or screwed front.

i would also flash band the inside and add fleece.

which is what is did first time around. but for some 6x9s and no electrics. and they were powered by a amp but..

28 Liters IIRC

now i have these

while waiting for new 6X9 boxes to arrive i had these in.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts