VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
I have a paair of Celestion DL4 speakers that i don't use in the house any more, can i use these wired up to Kenwood KDC-W6527 4 x 50 Watts max power (MOSFET) setero in the van?
The rating of the speakers are
8 ohms, 10 - 75 watt
check the output rating of the head unit. It may be that it is 4 ohms. I am not sure of the implications of this, but I do remember reading that it was not a good idea to connect a 4ohm output to a 8ohm speaker.

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
You're both wrong. The head unit requires a minimum of 4 ohms. If you use 8 ohm speakers you will just get less power out of the amp. The 8 ohm rating for Celestion speakers is nominal anyway and in reality they are probably about 6 ohms for most of the frequency range.
I have used "house" speakers in the van before and aprt from the fact that they take up so much space I was quite pleased with the results. As to how good they will sound will depend on the construction of the cabinets and the design "positioning". Try it, nothing to lose.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Having spent god knows how long setting up pa systems for various rock bands, speaker config's are something that I think im more than qualified to comment on.....I:...

Using higher impedence speakers will not damage your head/amp unit. Impedence is a term for speaker resistance. Higher impedence means that your speaker output may be slightly less because the resistance is higher. You're safe to use higher ratings than your head/amp unit is rated at ie 8 or 16 ohms. But note that the higher the resistance the lower the output from your speakers. You may risk damage to your head/amp if you run speakers at a LOWER rating than your head/amp. Some high quality gear will go down to 2 ohms to maximise their output but most car audio runs at 4 ohms.

You can alter speaker impedence loads by wiring up mulitpile speakers in either a series or parallel circuit. For more info on this do a google search on OHMS LAW. This is how we get guitar amps to drive cabinets full of large 12" speakers from only 1 or 2 channels.

If you have a pair of 8 ohm speakers wired in series the total impedence will be 16 ohms.
If you have a pair of 8 ohms speakers wired in parallel the total impedence will be 4 ohms.

Im starting to waffle on now.....I:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.