VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't want to go the whole hog with a leisure battery and split charge system. But I would like to be able to run the car audio, interior lights, etc. from the hook-up whilst camping. Thus saving the cranking battery. They seem to be able to do this at car shows. Can anybody advise how to do this please?

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
To do the hook up properly would not be too dissimilar in price for a leisure battery install.

You need a battery charger connecting to your cranking battery and to you hook up.

·
Registered
211 Posts
You'd have to connect a battery charger between the 240v hook up and your starter battery, then run the lights/audio/and any other 12v supplies off the starter battery circuit (make sure you put a fuse in the circuit). Doing it that way though, you're running the risk of flattening your starter battery, and leaving yourself stranded.

If you used a leisure battery instead of the starter battery without going the whole hog of a split charge system, then you wouldn't be risking your starter battery, but if you can't get to a hook-up for a couple of days you'll flatten your leisure battery and be without lights etc. until you can charge it again. This is the way I'm going to go, if I'm away for more than a couple of nights, I'll most likely have a hook up anywy.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
imo a leisure battery/split charge is much more useful than a hook up surely?

a day down the beach, radio on, coolbox plugged in- hook up no good.

a wild camp- no hook up

get to a campsite no hook ups available

well you get the ideaI:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there not a way to isolate the cranking battery so there's no risk of it running flat?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imo a leisure battery/split charge is much more useful than a hook up surely?

a day down the beach, radio on, coolbox plugged in- hook up no good.

a wild camp- no hook up

get to a campsite no hook ups available

well you get the ideaI:
No hook-up = no fan heater!

·
Registered
43 Posts
You could get a 12v transformer of suitablewattage/amperage a.nd wire everything to run off that, but I don't know how you'd switch it back to the starter battery whilst driving

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Upspex 5 stage chargers provide plenty of power to run everything 12v while on hookup.

But I agree with the point made already - if you're having a hookup/rcds/sockets/12v supply etc fitted, then its relatively little more to add the split charge and battery to give the full flexibility for all the times you're not on 240v hookup.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You could get a 12v transformer of suitablewattage/amperage a.nd wire everything to run off that, but I don't know how you'd switch it back to the starter battery whilst driving
That's the kind of thing I'm looking for. A box that goes between the cranking battery and the accessories circuit to switch supply from the battery to the hook-up. I don't need to charge the cranking battery. There must be something simple.

All I want to do is run the radio and interior lights from the hook-up.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
All you need is a decent battery charger connected to your starter battery to keep it topped up while it's being used for lights,, radio etc. This is no different to running 12v appliances from a leisure battery that's being maintained by a charger from a site supply.

I've got one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FULLY-AUTOMATIC-MARINE-BATTERY-CHARGER-12V-20A-/140796620496?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item20c821eed0 fitted to my leisure battery. It came with crocodile clips which I cut off, so it would be fine for clipping to your main battery on camping trips & removing afterwards. My only concern would be in keeping the charger & mains plug tucked away safe in the engine bay away from moisture & making sure the supply is RCD protected. They also do a 12a model which is cheaper if you need to keep an eye on the cost.

All the best, Al.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts