VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 277 Posts

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Following the success of the Cannock weekender in the spring, we present the "Hopton MTB Autumn Weekender", Nov 16th, 17th, 18th November.
Based right on the Shropshire / Herefordshire border, easily accessed off the A49.

Broadly, and this will unfold over the next month or two, the plan is to....

Take these (and others like them ;);

Here;

and ride these;

Here;

And here;

Before returning here;

...and repeating.:D

The base for the weekend will be the campsite at The Baron at Bucknell,

http://www.baronatbucknell.co.uk/index.html

EDIT 23/08 PLEASE POST UP HERE IF YOU ARE DEFINATELY COMING AND COME AND FIND ME ON ARRIVAL AND PAY ME PLEASE. AS IT NOW STANDS ALL THE HOOK UPS HAVE BEEN ALLOCATED TO THOSE WHO BOOKED EARLY
cost will be £11 per night and £15 per night for those with hook up.
I can't apologise enough for having to change the way we book this, but that's totally out of my hands.
This is a stunning location, well away from the ratrace. The mountain biking opportunities for both trail / xc riders and full-on downhillers are fantastic.
Whilst although there are blue trails at Hopton and opporunities to ride the lanes etc around Bucknell, the red graded trails and d/h stuff will be best ridden by those confident of both their ability and their bike. On the red route and xc riding, usual rules will apply, if we are riding as a group, last man will always be waited for at next junction etc.
Myself, Johneames. Our resident local D/H guru, Gazmataz and Chris ( sell73out) along with random Cakeface riders, will be working hard ( I:) over the next few weeks to piece together as much info and riding as we can. The Hopton trails can be accessed by riding (uphill :D) from the campsite, or by van from the trailhead 4 miles away.
We don't want to exclude families or other halves and there are well mapped walks straight from the door. The pub is also a stunning restaurant and offers great food and drink and a warm fire in winter.
The Pearce cycles red graded xc trail is superb and they will be running an uplift service to the d/h track on the sunday ( more detail when I have it).
http://www.pearcecycles.co.uk/about.

Please also note; at present the campsite has only one shower, in its disabled toilet block, it really could be useful, but please , please can we leave it clean and tidy for the next poor, cold, muddy soul ?

As ever we'll start a list, please post up and we'll get you added. Names will be turned red once ( could you post up, or PM me when you know you are coming please ?) .........................................

forum name Nights booked

Hook ups;

bigcat fri / sat hook up
johneames fri / sat hook up
Grizzler fri / sat hook up
Gazmataz
Elder81 fri / sat hook up
Sell73out 1xt4 and 1xt5 fri / sat hook ups
JFDI fri / sat hook up
BusterBen
kfphil fri / sat hook up
Webbe01
Andynick69 1st van

Non hook-up...

Flameboy
Andynick69 2nd van
Wayne
Longburgandy (James)
Moot (Rob)
Lol
Vanjak
SammyNewGirlx

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Be good to see you guys !

Good luck Chris T:

·
Registered
644 Posts
Providing we have nothing else on that weekend I am well and truely up for this!

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Spot on bigcat. I'll book on after the weekend. Good man.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Looking forward to this Dave. Just got the fingers and toes crossed we can find a van to trade up to in time or it'll be a tight fit in the back of the estate. Speak soon

nick

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Spot on bigcat. I'll book on after the weekend. Good man.
No crazy stuff tho gaz I: unless your doing a tour of the country hospitals LOL:

Yeah I'm keen Dave good shout, will clear it with the boss as we've just bought and moved house, so things are tight, also second baby due in December :D

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm in and booked up T: :ILU:

I'm also bringing a couple of other 'tag-alongs' in their T5, although I doubt they'll be up for much biking ;)
So that's two pitches with hookups taken then I:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Dont wanna sound whimpy but how do the trails here compare to the FOD. I love the new blue run as there are not many jumps (I'm [email protected] in the air, Well landing is the hard part actually) Are there some routes similar to that?

Also are non VW vans allowed? or can we put the non VW owners in tents :D

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Dont wanna sound whimpy but how do the trails here compare to the FOD. I love the new blue run as there are not many jumps (I'm [email protected] in the air, Well landing is the hard part actually) Are there some routes similar to that?

Also are non VW vans allowed? or can we put the non VW owners in tents :D
No real "jumps" as such on the red route, opportunities for a little air off a couple of the rollers. The trail is generally much steeper than Verderers, but climbs are rewarded with superb flowy sections.
The d/h trails are another matter, choice is entirely yours.
One thing I really do like at Hopton is the red or blue option "warm up" trails, which loop out and back to the trailhead carpark. If you can ride the red warm up you'll have no issue on the main trail.

Much like the end of the blue at FOD, the harder you ride it the deeper you'll need to dig into your skillset.

We all have mates who ride and may want to come, but I really want to be sensible about this, it's a forum meet when all said and done, sure bring friends , but can we just be reasonable about this please ? We can ride with our non forum mates any time, but we don't have a forum / mtb meet that often ;)

The campsite isn't huge and we really would like it to ourselves, which, if we get enough quickly, we will, but we don't want forum vans turned down if we've got a site full of Vectras, Vitos and Fords:eek:

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No crazy stuff tho gaz I: unless your doing a tour of the country hospitals LOL:

Yeah I'm keen Dave good shout, will clear it with the boss as we've just bought and moved house, so things are tight, also second baby due in December :D
Well done with the move Matt, be really great if you can make it, but don't compromise the forthcoming arrival mate T:

·
Registered
157 Posts
So Dave and myself had a little recce over Bucknell last night and this morning... I can wholly recommend the Steak Burger at the pub - it's Epic :D
Also the campsite is very nice - very flat (so no need for chocks) and lovely and quiet :)

Anyhoo, after a little pootle up the hill in Buckell Woods this morning, we found this... :D

and slightly further down, this... :eek:

We reckon the top half of the downhill trail is sessionable by most folk with a trail bike and skills up to a red level... the second section is um... lets say a little above my skillset (and bike/armour levels) I: Rasp:

We also had a tootle up into Hopton Woods from the campsite - it's a bit of a steep one and a good few miles too, however we've also found a good spot to drive to at the bottom of the trails, which is easily navigable with the vans although parking may be limited there so a bit of doubling up in vans may be required for those feeling lazier than the rest of us...

I suspect further scouting reports will follow in due course... T:

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Well thank you for your witty comment matt!!!! hahaha. I'll reframe from another hospital visit. Her in doors will have me in for signs of abuse within hours as well suspect.
Guys, don't be afraid of technical riding issues. As we are on a riding weekend, we can stop and session a few areas on the way round in a group if people are up for it. I'm more than happy to give a few lessons and tips on bike skills, no matter how badly this hospital visit from Cannock, will curse me on here. A 5-10 minute stop, walk and talk with a few goes can only improve people's skills and drills. It'll help improve people's experience of the weekend.
Rich, you could do with a few weekends worth of lessons buddy........ Hahaha

·
Registered
644 Posts
I warn you gazmataz I might take you up on the offer for some advice!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well thank you for your witty comment matt!!!! hahaha. I'll reframe from another hospital visit. Her in doors will have me in for signs of abuse within hours as well suspect.
Guys, don't be afraid of technical riding issues. As we are on a riding weekend, we can stop and session a few areas on the way round in a group if people are up for it. I'm more than happy to give a few lessons and tips on bike skills, no matter how badly this hospital visit from Cannock, will curse me on here. A 5-10 minute stop, walk and talk with a few goes can only improve people's skills and drills. It'll help improve people's experience of the weekend.
Rich, you could do with a few weekends worth of lessons buddy........ Hahaha
gaz i seem to remember a trip to fort william where you kept having problems and then the time at molefre im sure by the sounds of things there are quite a few times so maybe i could teach you a few things buddy

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
gaz i seem to remember a trip to fort william where you kept having problems and then the time at molefre im sure by the sounds of things there are quite a few times so maybe i could teach you a few things buddy
Mechanicals at fort bill and molfore were all punctures. I roll down faster than you chain-less and you know it?!........ Hahahaha

1 - 20 of 277 Posts