VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
could someone tell me which relay operates the horn and where I can find it? the old horn was working and now it doesn't, so i have just bought a nautilus which works fine straight from the battery but not when wired up on the steering wheel, ive stripped back the wires from the old horn as they were a bit coroded and connected the new horn to the clean wires but it still doesn't work, could it be the relay or fuse? if so which numbers am i looking for and where are they.
My van is a 1997 1.9td

Any help would be great.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am about to embark on this task too as my horn has given in to old age & the little blue pills won't help this sorry looking thing I:

So anyone out there who can help with identifying the horn relay please help or direct to a detailed thread.
:*

·
Registered
809 Posts
Spooky that I just fitted a nautilus and have the same problem, works off the battery but the old 12v supply from the horn switch to energise the relay seems to of disappeared. I will take a look at the weekend and let you know how I get on.

could someone tell me which relay operates the horn and where I can find it? the old horn was working and now it doesn't, so i have just bought a nautilus which works fine straight from the battery but not when wired up on the steering wheel, ive stripped back the wires from the old horn as they were a bit coroded and connected the new horn to the clean wires but it still doesn't work, could it be the relay or fuse? if so which numbers am i looking for and where are they.
My van is a 1997 1.9td

Any help would be great.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Nautilus horns need a seperate relay fitted if you fit the horn and it dont work try starting the engine give a rev then try the horn again should sound weakly but after a relay is put in it will be loud T:

·
Registered
809 Posts
I fitted the relay that came with the horn with 12v from the battery apllied to the relay contact where the original horn switch supply should go to it all works. However connecting the original wire from the horn switch and nothing happens so the 12v from the original horn switch to energise the nautilas relay has gone missing and it is not the fuse. I hopefully will work it out this weekend.

Nautilus horns need a seperate relay fitted if you fit the horn and it dont work try starting the engine give a rev then try the horn again should sound weakly but after a relay is put in it will be loud T:

·
Registered
809 Posts
Yep, it is the lead form the original horn wiring the 12v is missing, if I connect 12v straight form the battery the relay energises and horn sounds. So something is open circuit or voltage dropping between the horn push switch and the original horn + (and the fuse is fine). Next step is to check for 12v at the plug connection in the battery bay on the original wiring.

Have you wired it as per Jurasiks diagram?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Well I looked into the horn problem/wiring. I am an idiot after doing some voltage checks I found I had the original horn + and - wires the wrong way round. the original wires are as follows, Black and Yellow +12V and Brown/Black earth.

ie Black/yellow to 86 on the relay and Brown/black to earth.

Suggest original poster checks this as he had same symtoms as me.

·
Literally, white van man
4,071 Posts
Well I looked into the horn problem/wiring. I am an idiot after doing some voltage checks I found I had the original horn + and - wires the wrong way round. the original wires are as follows, Black and Yellow +12V and Brown/Black earth.

ie Black/yellow to 86 on the relay and Brown/black to earth.

Suggest original poster checks this as he had same symtoms as me.
:confused:
Ok now I'm confused (it's not difficult, do not be alarmed) I 'thought' the original horn wires connected to the Nautilas relay pins 85 and 86 to switch the relay, allowing the fused 12v direct feed from the battery to pass through the relay pins 87 and 30 to the horn 'HONK' then earth return (or a wire to the -ve post on the battery)

Is this a correct understanding or not?

Does it matter which pin out of 85 and 86 has the positive 12v (from the horn button on steering wheel) input as long as the other completes the circuit?

Does it matter which pin out of 30 and 87 has the direct 12v fused input as long as the other goes to the horn? (and the other terminal on the horn completes the circuit back to earth/-ve post on battery)

Someone please confirm this for me as I 'Thought' I had it sussed, and as usual, now I'm not so sure :(

Chris

·
Registered
809 Posts
Hi Chris

Relay terminal 30 is the 12volt connection to the van battery
Relay terminal 85 goes to earth or battery negative post
Relay terminal 87 goes to the horn + connection
Relay terminal 86 connects to the black/yellow original horn + wire
The final connection to the horn is the earth, the original brown/black wire which goes to the negative- terminal of the horn

Hope this helps , when mine didn't work I connected 12v straight to 86 from the battery using a piece of wire the horn sounded I then worked out I had the original horn wires the wrong way round once swapped as above all works fine

·
Literally, white van man
4,071 Posts
T: Cheers Bobbster, I'm a bit of a leccy Biff, I will soft wire the system to start with, make sure it all works then fit it properly.
As part of the testing yesterday I got my multimeter to 'beep' with continuity whilst connected to the relay pins 30 and 87 when I pressed the horn button, I thought I had the brown/black wire connected to the +ve relay 86 pin, but like I said, I AM a leccy Biffer so it is entirly possible that it was'nt the case.
If I get it fitted and don't blow all my fuses I'll post the results :D

Chris

·
Literally, white van man
4,071 Posts
T: OK, update from me.
The 'soft wire' of the horn was conducted this afternoon, It worked T: , It's LOUD :D

The yellow/black wire to the original horn IS the +ve, the brown/black Is the -ve.

After some cack handed testing I have established that as long as the +ve and -ve wires are connected to opposite relay pins (86 and 85) and you have a 12V fused supply through pins 30 and 87, the horn works H:

so all my stressing was in vain ;)

(as soon as I source a horn loom I'll fit it permanently :D )

Sebel Nautilus horn with red relay, Halfords £29.95, wire,crimps and heatshrink, Maplins £6, The look on workmates face when I tested it, Priceless LOL:

Chris

(I am not, nor do I claim to be, an electrician, accept any mistakes as your own I: :D )

·
Literally, white van man
4,071 Posts
Glad you got it sorted.T:
Thanks Jurasik, this is the second time your 'Leccy' savvy has dug me out of the mire, my problem is I am a through and through mechanical minded person, AND I want to 'Know' how/why it's done the way it is (Wigglies are white mans magic!)
The very basic 'it has to flow from one to another' stands me in good stead most of the time I:

(If I get it all in one sock I'll try to get some phot's of the bracket, horn, relay and wires and where it's fitted T: )

Cheers

Chris

·
Literally, white van man
4,071 Posts
Final update, Horn fitted on a bracket below and infront of the battery (below split charge gubbins too) Spare space on the bracket for the headlight upgrade relays when I get it.

The Bracket, Horn, Relay and direct 12v connections. The original horn wires connect to the two remaining relay pins (It seems not to matter which pins, as long as the circuit is complete)

Fitted to the van, mostly hidden by the split charge gubbins.
( Looks like a disco at a snakes wedding I: )

Chris

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Super neat job Fatboy.
Jurasik, cheers for the diags, particularly the last one. I think I'm ready to finally fit the set of air horns I bought a month ago now.T:

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Fatboy35 - please could you send me a pic of the bracket?

It looks a fantastic neat job!

Also, please could someone confirm if I need two relays to power two horns, or if I can piggy back off the one relay.

Cheers all :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts