VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.. ive been through a few different replacement horns (2 nautilus) and 1 bog standard 12v horn. My MOT is due in 2 weeks and i need to get it sorted. Any recommendations on a decent replacement?? Also.. its prolly worth relocating it.. but whats the best way of doing that?? Is it possible to just pull the wiring loom out from the wheel arch and put the replacent above in the engine bay??

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Yeah I have put mine in the engine bay. I just used plugged two spades terminals into the exisiting wires and ran new wires straight up - there is a hole through to the engine bay above where the horn is now

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
Iv changed mine several times to but now it under the bonnet....theres plenty of wire to just unclip it and pull it through then all you have to do is find somrwhere to mount it under the hood..any 12 horn will work and as it aint under your arch in all the crud so will last this time.....

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys... much appreciated. Might pick up another Nautilus instead of standard horn replacement

·
Registered
365 Posts
Excuse the dunce in the corner, but where is the horn fitted as standard? I'd have a look myself but its dark and im lazy!

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
in front of the passenger side wheel in the back of the bumper, just behind where the foglight aperture is.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I fitted a Nautilus horn in the engine bay to keep it away from all the road crud.
The wiring easily pulls up into the engine bay.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My horn is currently broken. Is there any easy way of working out whether it is the horn itself that is broken or another part to save buying the wrong it?? Thanks

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
My horn is currently broken. Is there any easy way of working out whether it is the horn itself that is broken or another part to save buying the wrong it?? Thanks
unplug the horn in front of the N/S wheel, attach a 12v bulb with som flying leads and get somebody to press the horn button (with the ignition on), bulb flash = dead horn, no bulb flash = something else is duff....

or connect flying leads to the horn and touch them (very briefly) onto the battery terminals

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi there

I have a 96 Caravelle, is it standard to have two horns, in each front wheel arch ?

As I am having trouble too, as one only seems to work, but always blows the fuse after a day or so.

Do you replace them with a standard VW replacement or one from elsewhere. I guess there about £30 each ?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Mate, I have a set of 130db airhorns I got from ebay (Item no 320731973519) and easy fit into the the engine bay! T:

Best part since fitting these was the look the MoT tester got from his mates when he tested the horn INSIDE the workshop!LOL:

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,710 Posts
Why not check out MARINE HORNS....they come in stainless steel, and can be mounted on the roof T:
Standard 12v supply, but you will need an extra relay and a BIGGER fuse:eek:

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,710 Posts
Of course, next thing to do is mount a switch up near the screen visor, and then hang a chain from it along the side....REAL trucker style!
Or...mount a switch behind the interior mirror, and use those furry dice you have as a pull :D

I really want these horns on the roof....30 years ago had similar on the bonnet af a Datsun (pre Nissen) pickup....and they were LOUD....but they were also chromed steel....:(
They did last the transition from the pickup to a Landy, to a 32ft Yankie motorhome and back to another Landie before they looked soooo bad they had to be binned though...but they still worked after 9 years.
(Hammerite...hmm...tried it, it fell off after a few weeks, think the vibration loosened it from the horns!....and it was prepped right and baked on....chrome on steel needs polishing every week....and there were no Polish guys around me to do it I:).

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Compressor turned up today for these bad boys, pictured next to a Nautilus for size comparison, fitting tomorrow or one evening next week :D.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I just won a set of fiamm dual trumpets (and compressor etc) on the bay, got into a bit of a bidding war like but there we go, snipe done it's work for me and i think the price was ok in the end...:D (even though i don't know really how much these are new, but the trumpets i did find that looked similar were fiamms and a few quid just for the trumpets) so hopefully it's not a bad deal.

Just hope they sound like i want them too now....:D

Soon see.............

·
Registered
61 Posts
My nautilus in the engine bay, next to the battery has been there for around a year and going strong. Stays pretty clean and dry up there.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts