·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the best upgrade plug and play horn? :*

·
Registered
945 Posts
A friend of mine have upgraded his to train horns with compressor and everything in the back. The sound will give you a heart attack if you don't see it coming. I'm considiring this seriously now after all these idiot bus drivers in Norway.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
A friend of mine have upgraded his to train horns with compressor and everything in the back. The sound will give you a heart attack if you don't see it coming. I'm considiring this seriously now after all these idiot bus drivers in Norway.
................... and moose :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have picked up my 2010 T5.1 Kombi today and I found on the way home how poor the horn is!! I am getting rid of my 2001 Passat that has a superb tone horn. So, my question is, does anyone know if there are one or two horns on my kombi and would there be a problem fitting two horns. I suppose the best option would be to use a relay to run the two horns??

·
Registered
52 Posts
I fitted a pair of PIAA sports horns after doing a search on the forum, easy fit and bloody loud, scared the out my sister in law the other day. Can't remember if brought them on eBay or amazon ?. The standard horn on my 2010 t5.1 was a joke, it was just a single unit , on the plus point it did make people laugh.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I fitted a pair of PIAA sports horns after doing a search on the forum, easy fit and bloody loud, scared the out my sister in law the other day. Can't remember if brought them on eBay or amazon ?. The standard horn on my 2010 t5.1 was a joke, it was just a single unit , on the plus point it did make people laugh.
Did you just wire them both to the T5.1 supply or use a relay?

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Same as me - also good for scattering SLG's who think it's fun to saunter accross the road in front of you I:.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Same as me - also good for scattering SLG's who think it's fun to saunter accross the road in front of you I:.
I really want to do that too, but all the hassle with compressor and everything puts me off. If I ever went on Air suspension, it would be a no-brainer :D

·
Registered
153 Posts
Re: Horn Replacement T5.1

I bought a set of PIAA superior deep bass horns from rally prep on ebay, about £35 inc P&P, after comparing the various types on youtube. They are lower 330&400 hertz sound frequency; compared to most 400/500 & almost truck-like. Easy to fit either with either crimp connectors or soldering (easier than crimping IMO).

Remove 3 No. T25 torx screws from the O/S undertray between the fog insert and wheel arch and the single horn is easily unbolted from the conveniently provided VW twin bracket.

I connected the earth wires from each of the horns to the black/yellow original and the live feed to brown.

Instructions are in Japanese, but earth is the terminal closest to the horn outlet and there are 2 very long wires provided in the kit that you can half to save buying any more wire.

You can bend the VW bracket easily to point the horns down to the holes in the undertray.

Don't make the mistake I did and hold the horns when your assistant tests them......my ears are still ringing!

·
Registered
711 Posts
I also fitted a PIAA sports horn dual low tone. Took about 20 mins from start to finish and nearly made Festa sh#t his pants when I tested it. Brilliant bit of kit all you need is a few spade connectors and crimping pliers to do a pucker job. £35 ish all in. Well worth it as my T5 seems to be a bit of a w#nker magnet so I need the volume to bring their bad driving to their attention.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Horn Replacement T5.1

I bought a set of PIAA superior deep bass horns from rally prep on ebay, about £35 inc P&P, after comparing the various types on youtube. They are lower 330&400 hertz sound frequency; compared to most 400/500 & almost truck-like. Easy to fit either with either crimp connectors or soldering (easier than crimping IMO).

Remove 3 No. T25 torx screws from the O/S undertray between the fog insert and wheel arch and the single horn is easily unbolted from the conveniently provided VW twin bracket.

I connected the earth wires from each of the horns to the black/yellow original and the live feed to brown.

Instructions are in Japanese, but earth is the terminal closest to the horn outlet and there are 2 very long wires provided in the kit that you can half to save buying any more wire.

You can bend the VW bracket easily to point the horns down to the holes in the undertray.

Don't make the mistake I did and hold the horns when your assistant tests them......my ears are still ringing!

Thanks for your help guys! Horns fitted and they sound great T: took about 1/2hr only prob was having to jack the van up a bit so I could get under LOL:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts