VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Same as mate mine just stopped and wont work changed it and fuses and got no result
You checked there is actually any voltage at the horn connections? Lidl ( i think) are knocking out a cheap car voltage checker thingy m gingy this week on the cheap.

My horn was knackered so the process i went through was.
1. check horn function using seperate battery
2. check power is being delivered at + & - of wires that connect to horn (stick small child in driver seat, massive grin cause he gets to push horn button for 20 mins)
3 Check there is actually still a circuit on the steering wheel (basic, but worth a check)
4. (the one i didn't need to check) but from past experience, take the steering wheel off and check connection between wheel and hub (lots of WD or polishing of the brass coloured connections)
5. check the fuse and relay (probably should have done these first, but heard a 'clicking' so assumed all is well :) )

·
Registered
450 Posts
Relay 53 should be the horn.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
Try cutting your wires back a bit as they corrode and dont make proper contact...
Iv moved mine under the bonnet as i kept having the same problem

·
Registered
450 Posts
Only Caravelles or models with two horns have a relay.
Are you sure? I've got a 2.4D and it has deffo got a Relay 53 ... which i'm led to believe is for the horn? Additionally I can only see one horn under my bonnet.

I ask as i've been having a go at getting my horn to work. Earlier; a bit of a fiddle in the relay box seemed to get it working temporarily but now it's not working again and I only get 0.7v to the steering wheel switch. I was getting 12v.

I have no idea what's stopping it working! I've checked fuse 13, rewired and tested the horn works and cleaned all the contacts I can get to ... but there is something happening with either replay 53 (if this exists!) or steering wheel connections.

I'll also state now i'm not an electrician.

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,877 Posts
Could be a fault with the buttons....
Seems you have a similar problem with the Caps button and the Full Stop button...
I suspect it's just finger trouble LOL:

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
The relay, when fitted is at position 11 which is the second from the right on the bottom row. Unless dual tone horns are fitted this position will have a bridging strip inserted. With the ignition on this strip will have 12 volts +

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am having the same problem. Im horn has suddenly stopped working. I have very little tec knowledge. I have taken horn unit off and it works ok. How do you check the connection in the steering wheel????

Help is needed in an idiot prouf way please. Thanks

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Before you start pulling the dash and steering wheel apart, check that the horn is getting power to it. You can buy a cheap multimeter for a fiver. When I replaced my horn I managed to snap the wiring a few inches along as it was so corroded. The wiring connects to the loom in the engine bay by the nearside headlight, so it's just as easy to put the horn inside once you've sorted the fault.

Al

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ill try that first then. I was convinced it was the horn itself as its pretty rusty so maybe its the wire after all.

Thanks for the help

1 - 14 of 14 Posts